Big, Engulfing, Bass tips

Yeah Ive been splitting my basses for quite some time now, I understand how that benefits things. I'm more focused on trying to get the biggest, fullest sounding basses, and morphing basses via resampling.

This is new territory for me, but I've spent most of the day researching, and playing within Ableton, and I'm starting to get some good results.

Here's another sample for ya.

My aim is to master this technique over time, then break this code that seems to be around, about not sharing your tricks with others! I'm gonna smash resampling out the park, then I'm gonna do step by step tutorials on how it's done, from start to finish, missing out nothing.....and not saying "Throw whatever you want in here" and "Try adding your own bits here" etc. I'm gonna write a fucking book on the subject! lol

I'm guessing some of the lack of posts is it's a fairly advanced topic and people (deffo including me) aren't so sure what to contribute beyond frequency splitting, proper EQ, resampling, inserting fx/distortion chains, some widening or reverb especially on the higher end (though I see even in this post that varies, and I guess it depends on genre as well). It's a bit like chasing the holy grail isn't it :)

One thing i think though is that we are probably all self critical of our own tracks, especially after listening to them for hours on end and maybe not being quite happy with the way some elements turn out. You seem pretty down on yourself Kronix but your soundcloud is pretty good imo - I like your bass on Rush especially (also your Blu Mar Ten remix). Some times I think we're our own worst critics, whatever genre of music you're composing :)

I will deffo check out some of those tutorials and thanks for the advice about resampling, I will deffo start experimenting :D

Last edited:
I'm guessing some of the lack of posts is it's a fairly advanced topic and people (deffo including me) aren't so sure what to contribute beyond frequency splitting, proper EQ, resampling, inserting fx/distortion chains, some widening or reverb especially on the higher end (though I see even in this post that varies, and I guess it depends on genre as well). It's a bit like chasing the holy grail isn't it :)

One thing i think though is that we are probably all self critical of our own tracks, especially after listening to them for hours on end and maybe not being quite happy with the way some elements turn out. You seem pretty down on yourself Kronix but your soundcloud is pretty good imo - I like your bass on Rush especially (also your Blu Mar Ten remix). Some times I think we're our own worst critics, whatever genre of music you're composing :)

I will deffo check out some of those tutorials and thanks for the advice about resampling, I will deffo start experimenting :D

Thanks man, I wouldnt say I'm down on myself......I just strive to take my productions to the next level. I'm nowhere near where I want to be. And this is one of the largest obstacles thats standing in my way, which I intend to overcome, and hopefully help others overcome too!

Sorry yeah I'll correct myself, don't mean down as in depressed or anything :) just that I think we're all pretty self critical but that's also what helps you strive to be better imo.

Thing is that people never want to share techniques. U see people post here on a regular and once they make it u don't hear from them except for when they are promoting their releases.

don't forget how important your highs can be with a bass. It sometimes seems if you just have a heavy harmonic sub bass with some cool highs you mids can become unnecessary.

Thing is that people never want to share techniques. U see people post here on a regular and once they make it u don't hear from them except for when they are promoting their releases.

Only too true fella.....which is a shame! I remember when we had the likes of Ben kama, Mattix & Futile, Ketz, Zeal & Litta, Quartus Saul, TongueFlap etc on here on a daily basis. They were top members of the community, who really made this place special. All of which seem to have dropped off the face of the planet and no longer visit us mere mortals! Even the likes of Richie Stix, Freek and John Miszt dont seem to be around as much. Its a shame.

Even if I made it I dont think I'd ever give up on this place, it's been such a valuable asset to my production, and if I could give back to the community what I've learnt over the years .........remember ya roots is what I say! ;)

I wouldn't be so critic about other people life and habit on participating to forum's threads.
Someone has gotta a real life and cannot be connected 24/7.... Work, family, kids, friends and other stuff to sort out...
Everybody in here has given their contribution to the topic as they can...

I will say that is not about not sharing a specific technique, it's just that there's not a specific rule on creating basslines and resampling...
What u guys expecting? That someone comes there and does the things for you?...
We gotta try and try and try... and find out our way...
Someone is lucky, he'll find some cool way to create powerful and massive basslines, someone get stuck.

I think some relevant tips are already on this thread, from my side there's not that much to add... Probably also because my basslines are not the best example anyway... But obviously more I produce, more the patches on my effect rack and synths will develop.

Your latest experiment on bass are getting good Fletch, I will continue on the direction you have taken...

Last edited:
don't forget how important your highs can be with a bass. It sometimes seems if you just have a heavy harmonic sub bass with some cool highs you mids can become unnecessary.
(y)
actually, not sure about unnecessary, but yeah, a focus on the lows and highs works

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so critic about other people life and habit on participating to forum's threads.
Someone has gotta a real life and cannot be connected 24/7.... Work, family, kids, friends and other stuff to sort out...
Everybody in here has given their contribution to the topic as they can...

I will say that is not about not sharing a specific technique, it's just that there's not a specific rule on creating basslines and resampling...
What u guys expecting? That someone comes there and does the things for you?...
We gotta try and try and try... and find out our way...
Someone is lucky, he'll find some cool way to create powerful and massive basslines, someone get stuck.

I think some relevant tips are already on this thread, from my side there's not that much to add... Probably also because my basslines are not the best example anyway... But obviously more I produce, more the patches on my effect rack and synths will develop.

Your latest experiment on bass are getting good Fletch, I will continue on the direction you have taken...

Oh no, I fully understand we all have real lives...jobs / girlfriend / kids etc. I'm not debating that. It's just those guys were full to the brim with useful information and techniques, and they didnt mind sharing that wealth of knowledge. I learnt pretty much everything I know about production from this forum and the wonderful people that frequent this site..

I don't have any software to make screen capturing videos. so I can't really help with that. Maybe I can post some pics of my chains, when I have time.

Me too I hate when people keep their technique..

Well mate no one will tell you exact way of creating those big basslines.People here just want to take but not give sad but true,but there is some exceptions for sure:)I can give u some hints the rest is experimenting

Here is sound i created in massive unprocessed it is pretty basic
http://soundcloud.com/dark-light-2/dry-reese-bass/s-MLeQC

The fx chain goes like this EQ>MULTIBAND DISTORTION>MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR and i record output from this and of course i do automations from these set of plugins on various parameters including pitch

After that i do some cutting on recorded sound and then insert it again and add new fx chain
EQ>VOCODER>MULTIBAND DISTORTION>FLANGER>COMP>REVERB

And then again do some crazy automations on all of these plugins and mod on pitch.

Here is result
http://soundcloud.com/dark-light-2/processed-reese-bass/s-xHWgW

I found out that most important part is eq and multiband distortion these gives you texture in sound.The rest is just fine tuning.
And here is patch for massive:http://www.sendspace.com/file/1h4pav
Hope these help you and everyone else.Good luck:)

Well mate no one will tell you exact way of creating those big basslines.People here just want to take but not give sad but true,but there is some exceptions for sure:)I can give u some hints the rest is experimenting

Here is sound i created in massive unprocessed it is pretty basic
http://soundcloud.com/dark-light-2/dry-reese-bass/s-MLeQC

The fx chain goes like this EQ>MULTIBAND DISTORTION>MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR and i record output from this and of course i do automations from these set of plugins on various parameters including pitch

After that i do some cutting on recorded sound and then insert it again and add new fx chain
EQ>VOCODER>MULTIBAND DISTORTION>FLANGER>COMP>REVERB

And then again do some crazy automations on all of these plugins and mod on pitch.

Here is result
http://soundcloud.com/dark-light-2/processed-reese-bass/s-xHWgW

I found out that most important part is eq and multiband distortion these gives you texture in sound.The rest is just fine tuning.
And here is patch for massive:http://www.sendspace.com/file/1h4pav
Hope these help you and everyone else.Good luck:)

You sir are a legend! I cant thank you enough. I've already learnt so much over the last couple of days but these few tips you've just given here will definately help me in the right direction!

I think that the next step should also how to create such punchy, crystal clear, drums...
I guess it's also there a matter of equing and layering...
But I don't want to go out of topic...

Back
Top Bottom