Bass Drum Interference

VaperKone

Hello Everyone,

I have a build up and when the bass drum starts kicking all the other instruments seems to get a bit quieter. What causes this and how can i fix the problem? Im using reason 5.
Thanks in advance.

VaperKone

EQin the kick might help... try a a small cut (a few db) at the midrange of the kick (round 500hz), with a Q factor of around 1.

n make sure ur kick doesnt have too much reverb/tail on it, otherwise they roll over and muffle up ur freqs

based of a few important lessons i've learned recently, i think your issue is eq-related. if there are "extra" frequencies (may even be inaudible) in your kick that peak above the sounds that are becoming quieter, it could be what's causing them to become quieter in the first place. you will likely just need to cut all frequencies from your kick that you are not using. check this out:

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?111910-The-epic-zip-of-saved-tips!

in there is something called "eq tut" that opened my eyes to eqing quite a bit. your issue is specifically discussed. i want to just regurgitate it here, but i will f**k it up. so you should read it.

do you have the mclass mastering suite on the master out? just under the audio device?
If you have that on default it will be limiting and compressing the whole output. so when a big noise (bass drum) hits - it will compress the whole output - making everything go quiter.
get round this by instead of using the default use multband compression - so each frequecny band is compressed differently

So... In FL Studio, is the "Fruity Limiter" a single- or multi band compressor?
I take it I'm gonna need a multi band compressor, but I'm sad to admit I have very little know-how, you know, compressor / limiter wise.
I'm just a drummer, this is a whole new world to me!

So... In FL Studio, is the "Fruity Limiter" a single- or multi band compressor?
I take it I'm gonna need a multi band compressor, but I'm sad to admit I have very little know-how, you know, compressor / limiter wise.
I'm just a drummer, this is a whole new world to me!

It's not really a compressor, compressor and limiter are two different things.
When you want to start using limiters I would look for a different limiter than the FL Limiter (don't like it that much compared to limiters like the one in Ozone 4).

Back
Top Bottom