Anyone tell me how to eq and/or compress my drums in Reason 2.5?

ac

I have made a break:

HERE

Now how come the drums sound louder in Reason than they do in WMP? Which is the true sound I will hear on completion; the one in Reason or the one in WMP?

Also, any tut's or help on EQing and/or compressing my drums in Dr Rex?

Many Thanks.

If your WMP doesn't have modified EQ or some audio plugin there then the sound you're hearing from WMP is what is in the export sound file.

I can't hear your break as the host site is 'temp down'. However, i would EQ your Kick drum seperately to your Snare. As you may want to add a frequency to your snare which may ruin your kick. Essentialy Wire a EQ to your Kick drum fiddle with it till it sounds clean, take out any sound 90hz and below. Then wire an EQ to your snare (i personaly would reduce the 300-600hz mark till it sounds nice) and maybe add some around the 1khz. I would find a song you like, try and find a kick drum to match that of the tune and that for snare etc. etc. then eq it till it sounds as close as possible. After a few drum loops have been made you'll find your own method of preference.

This is all with ReDrum in mind. Layering snares can help. but can take up alot of sound space.

so ur making all ur drums in the rex thru recycle? or are u using pre-loaded breaks in the dr rex player?

yes always eq ur kick and snare separately, you may find it easier to load ur kick in an NN-19 (or NN-XT) and just create an eq after that (more control than using the redrum)

don't think that u need to remove everything below 90hz on ur kick per se (although normally this can help clear some space for ur sub bass), it all depends on the sample that u use, general freqeuncy range (that u can boost to bring the sound out more / add punch) is around 80 - 110hz for kicks and 150 - 200hz on the snare, check this drum tutorial on here, might find it helpful (before i go off on one repeating the same thing lol)

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=54070

don't think that u need to remove everything below 90hz on ur kick per se (although normally this can help clear some space for ur sub bass),

I should have mentioned why :D, good answer none the less, i'm going to check out you tutorial. My drums are still resonably sketchy :)

hello AC, i use reason a fair bit so will try to give you some help. if you use the redrum to make some beats, get into the habit (if you dont already) of turning the unit round and wiring every track from the drum machine into the mixer - so you have say 8 drum tracks to 8 mixer tracks. put your main kick and snare on channels 8 & 9 as those channels in the redrum are more flexable with the extra knobs n buttons. add effects to mixer if you need to and dial em in (comp, eq ect) you also have the 2 band eq on the mixer itself. like the dude said above- if your actually tuning your individual drum sounds, say a kick, by all means run them through a sampler in reason and tweak it. also, i tend to layer about 2 -3 kicks together with different velocitys and volumes to create a new kick, same with the snares, mix up claps n stuff with other snares and you get totally new sounds. i dont use the sequencer in Reason itself as i find it very limiting.

i export all the seperate files as WAV's into a song folder then open them up in my sequencer - if they are too heavy / light ect, you can use further eq in here if need be and a mutitude of effects and processors. try and get a nice good round volume from the drum sounds in Reason before you export them (if you do this) and leave at least a few decibels headroom.

do you sequence in Reason aswell?

I should have mentioned why :D, good answer none the less, i'm going to check out you tutorial. My drums are still resonably sketchy :)

haha no worries mate, we're all lookin to get our drums bigger, sharper, more rolling, its not that easy - it is one half of "drum n bass" at the end of the day! :D

also thats not my tutorial, its Zeal's but trust he makes some sick beats so i would listen to what he has to say ;)

I think it's best to split all your drums up in redrum too, however I split left and right for creating head room (adding delay to one side and panning each channel), panning and phasing effects. Although as I use the panning/balance knob of the mixer to creat space and head room, I use the volume for each track to pan, I find that gives you more options any way.

Back
Top Bottom