Advise on kickdrums?

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
I can't seem to get a good kickdrum from scratch. I have a good quality mic, so I tried making a kickdrum out of beatboxing but it doesn't sound fat. I heard putting the mic on the floor and stomping near it makes a good kickdrum.

anyways, if anyone knows where to get some royalty-free kick drums for drum and bass tell me!

dnb kiks are so over processed that creating one from scratch (recording) is really difficult. try layering with a 909 kick to give it a little punch. alternatively just google for samples or go to dnbwiki.com and download some. theres loads of good free samples if you can be bothered to sift through the shit.

if you look at a kick its ideally a big old transient and a bit of a tail at a fairly low frequency, so if youve got a mic, putting it on the floor and stomping or tapping your foot next to it is a great sample source, after that you have to process it. so distort it and compress it with huge attack and no release for the transient (bounce and repeat for greater effect), layer with an eqd and reverbed copy of the original, lowpass the entire thing and layer again and you could have something pretty nice by then, and the fact that its home made always made it feel really worth while for me.

i agree that creating kicks from scratch/from drum machines is really futile.
But using kicks straight from sample packs is kinda gay too, but if it fits, it just fits and you cant help if its from a sample pack or not. Layering is your best friend, I usually go with at least 2 sounds, 1 snappy lowpassed to give it that low end thump and 1 snappy one to keep the mids clear.

wow i feel quiet... behind lol
I've always used already made kicks, somehow I can never really get the right sounds when i did try before - so i gave up. I mean when you think about it, it is quiet simple to create your own drum kick - if you have the right equipment and patience
I'll definitely try it out!

wow i feel quiet... behind lol
I've always used already made kicks, somehow I can never really get the right sounds when i did try before - so i gave up. I mean when you think about it, it is quiet simple to create your own drum kick - if you have the right equipment and patience
I'll definitely try it out!

my threads inspire!! haha

you should try it man, you'll learn something even if you ffail

i can make a kick out of any sound, go head, test me. last time it was the reece challange, this time ill do a kick. upload a sample and ill make a kick. i think kama took me up on it last time because were both into measuring nuts

i can make a kick out of any sound, go head, test me. last time it was the reece challange, this time ill do a kick. upload a sample and ill make a kick. i think kama took me up on it last time because were both into measuring nuts

Make a kick out of a short fart. It sounds like it could be done, but well? That's the test

how vulgar! still its not much of a challange, pussy farts have a lot of natural bass (age old doa reference there). but upload the sample and it shall be so.

Get your own sample :P

I'm too busy to upload a sample in less than a week, unless you can wait go on and use any sample.

Back
Top Bottom