Advice on monitors

@ jono.p - I've been told to avoid buying the KRK's as they hype the bass too much.

You heard right pal. They sound incredible in the mix dont get me wrong. Two RP8s and the 10" sub will really test the relationship with the neighbours. But for production they wont give you a flat true sound you really want. I'm looking to sell the lot and go for the Yamaha HS80s or possibly these new Pioneers depending on how they sound. That control wheel is a great feature. Being able to flatten or eq the output, turn them on and off or on standby or change the inputs without having to reach round. Plus they look boom in white!

The Pioneer S-DJ08 and Yamaha HS80's both have a good frequency range. I've been told for bass you need it to hit below 50hz.

A friend of mine was saying that the Yamaha's aren't that great and the only reason they sell is because people think they are going to be like the NS10. On paper they look good and from the reviews I've seen they all seem pretty positive.

I've heard so many mixed opinions. Think I need to go have a listen otherwise I'll never decide. Thing is there isn't any retailers near me that sell speakers like these.

Just been looking at the Pioneer S-DJ08 reviews and unable to find a bad word said about them but unfortunately there isn't many user reviews. I'm almost tempted to buy them.

those pioneers do look pimpin. and i dont doubt there good. but as you say not many reviews make it a risk. id stick to whats tried and tested and get the yams

The Pioneer S-DJ08 and Yamaha HS80's both have a good frequency range. I've been told for bass you need it to hit below 50hz.

A friend of mine was saying that the Yamaha's aren't that great and the only reason they sell is because people think they are going to be like the NS10. On paper they look good and from the reviews I've seen they all seem pretty positive.

I've heard so many mixed opinions. Think I need to go have a listen otherwise I'll never decide. Thing is there isn't any retailers near me that sell speakers like these.

Never had the chance to listen to NS10's, But the HS80's are a quality speaker.. Dont think many compare in that price bracket at all

You heard right pal. They sound incredible in the mix dont get me wrong. Two RP8s and the 10" sub will really test the relationship with the neighbours. But for production they wont give you a flat true sound you really want. I'm looking to sell the lot and go for the Yamaha HS80s or possibly these new Pioneers depending on how they sound. That control wheel is a great feature. Being able to flatten or eq the output, turn them on and off or on standby or change the inputs without having to reach round. Plus they look boom in white!

Well, yeah, but that's 2 RP8's plus a 10" sub, of course that'll put out a lot of bass. A buddy of mine has the RP8's and I do think they are a little bass heavy, but enough that a trained ear would know how to compensate pretty quickly. I have the RP6's and love the shit out of them.

I chose the 8s cos they are a great compromise for soundong phat when mixing and sounding fairly accurate when producing. The hs80s do sound more flat for sure, but for general listening i find them a bit too honest. At the end of the day youl be getting something that massively exceeds your current speakers, and youl love whatever you buy. This thread is a prime example of people liking different things. Theres no right or wrong answer of what to get. But in saying this most mastering studios have a set of yams, and thats not by chance

I've sat my RP8s side by side with a friends HS80s and tested them both with exactly the same lossless input. We ran a range of stuff through them from Dark Side of the Moon to Mozart and a lot of different drum and the Yamahas dominated across the board.

For general listening the output had a far greater range on the HS80s and what was most impressive was the quality at low volume. The bass response kicks in at a lot lower volume on the Yamahas.

When used with drum even though the KRKs are supposed to give an exaggerated bass response the Yamahas still gave a bigger boom but sounded richer still. And that was with the EQs flat. The Yamahas have a winder range of EQ features where as on the KRKs you can only increase the high frequency output. So when you want a truer sound you can leave the HS80s flat but if your mixing and want even more kick you can drive up the bass. Its also worth noting the HS80s drop to 42Hz where as the KRKs go down to 44.

Back
Top Bottom