Ableton thread (tips and tricks, q and a)

This is a really silly question, but I have to ask it...
Does it matte what order you put the audio effects in? Because I seem to be getting a different loudness on this pad if I put the compressor on before the reverb compared to last in the row o_O

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't because i've never experienced any differences nor have I ever heard anyone mention anything like that before.

However, where you have to be careful is when you are using a rack. You can have the effect just affect one item on the rack or the rack as a whole, depends on where you place the audio effect.

Last edited:
yes it matters, massivly, try it and see. doesnt mean either way is wrong, sumtimes a compressed reverb tail is exactly what a track needs.

For some reason when I click duplicate on a channel, it makes it a duplicate, but copies exactly what i duplicated it from, not duplicates it and then let me changes it and do what I want from the duplicate like I could normally...help? :D

For some reason when I click duplicate on a channel, it makes it a duplicate, but copies exactly what i duplicated it from, not duplicates it and then let me changes it and do what I want from the duplicate like I could normally...help? :D

your gona have to rearrange that sentence a bit first i think....cant work out what your asking lol :P

This is a really silly question, but I have to ask it...
Does it matte what order you put the audio effects in? Because I seem to be getting a different loudness on this pad if I put the compressor on before the reverb compared to last in the row o_O

yes, it does... say you have a compressor before and eq: the eq will eq the compressed sound... switch it up and you are compressing the ed'd sound... yagetsme?

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

yeah, wtf?

yeah mate... if you go into the utility drop down there should be a preset called mono (usefull for subs, kick and snare ;))

yeah zero width on utility is mono, i also use it for controlling volume if ive automated the track volume, pretty handy.

Ableton won't let me midi map one of the knobs on my midi controller to the auto filters frequency :|
I'm using an m audio oxygen 25. Can someone explain to me how I can get ableton to recognise the knobs/faders?

tweak some knobs and see if the midi light flashes in ableton, runner. theres like 2 little gray boxes next to the cpu usage if i remember correctly, the top on will flash yellow if its receiving midi from your device.

you have to set it up in preferences first though, abletons pretty good at picking things up automatically, but maybe just fuck with some buttons in the midi config area until it works, you dont have to reboot Live everytime i think.

if its usually working, and you just cant assign a certain knob to something in ableton, my guess is that knob is unassignable. but so much is so i dont know what else to say.

sorry i cant help hardware specifically : )

ps i use a usb mixer when i want to fuck round with faders n knobs, does the trick and was cheap as shit off a friend, everything works fine too. i know thats no help :p

I just put a bandpass filter on a return channel, but it doesn't sound like it's affecting the different channels I sent there 100%. Halp?

it wont, it will only affect them like 50% or something, if you want i 100%, as i learned in this thread, you have to route the channels ''audio to'' to ''send only'' thats from memory, ill check soon and edit if i got the terms wrong,

it wont, it will only affect them like 50% or something, if you want i 100%, as i learned in this thread, you have to route the channels ''audio to'' to ''send only'' thats from memory, ill check soon and edit if i got the terms wrong,

if you go to the session view... you should see 'master' in the IO bit (with a little triangle to denote drop down menu), change to sends only and voila... check few pages back!

this was enlightining to learn!

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

i remember why i came in here now... anyone want to share some patches for operator :D

YEAH SHARE! i got a gay one i fiddled with that sounds like take me away chase and status bass if anyone wants it, for operator.. i dunno thats it. i really wanna see some of the shit that can really be achieve with operator. all my sounds are so dull, but that might be the default algorithm..

Sorry, I don't use operator, but I came in here to ask, anyone want to do a collab? Any style, I don't care. :teeth:

Also I have one compressor question. If the ratio controls how much audio is let through, why would increasing the ratio make the sound louder?
And finally, with EQ Eight, is there a way to get the numbers 1-8 from left to right, instead of at weird numbers depending on when you turn them on?

Last edited:
um no idea about the ratio question, wouldnt it only get louder depending on the position of the attack release and threshold? .. i dunno..

the EQ8 quesiton, um.. who cares? haha, if it matters to you that much, either slide them across using the freq knob so they dont interrupt the eq you got laid down, or switch them all on before you start eqing, but again, why do you care haha

Back
Top Bottom