Ableton thread (tips and tricks, q and a)

Is there a quick way to put a big low pass filter or something similar over multiple tracks, or do I have to make the same filter on each track I want to lowpass?

Perhaps you could create a return channel with the filter, send all the channels that you want filtered into that return channel to get filtered, that would probably work and be quite easy

just remember, it wont be 100% wet lowpass on a return, im not sure why, and if anyone knows how to make it 100%, please tell me.

i think its also a new feature of Live 8 that you can now, finally, copy and paste FX's from one track to another, keeping the same settings.

Soemtimes when I use ableton and massive, the synth will just start flickering when I'm playing the tune through, and I have to open and close Ableton :|

Anyone know the problem?

Just close the synth then when you aren't using it
When you want to open it again push the little wrench type of symbol on massive to open since you don't need the massive window open when playing

Thats never happened to me before but almost sounds like a video card issue

just remember, it wont be 100% wet lowpass on a return, im not sure why, and if anyone knows how to make it 100%, please tell me.

i think its also a new feature of Live 8 that you can now, finally, copy and paste FX's from one track to another, keeping the same settings.

yep... certainly can!

your wet/dry issue could be explain thus... when using an effect on a return channel, put the wet/dry of the effect up to 100% and use the fader to the return as the wet/dry control... if that don't help, well fuck knows!

noob question again. cant find a tutorial on youtube for it cause im a retard and I suck at life basicly :P got myself a Mic and im trying to make my own samples but i dont know how to turn the recorded sample into like a actuall sample i can store in my files. also dont know how to cut the audio file i record.

@richie - nah man ive done some tests myself, say im using a low pass filter, native Live one, so theres no realy wet/dry knob, theres a huge difference on it if its through a return, verses slappin it straight onto the track, i never really touch the return fader either, i think its meant to be like this, its definitely something like 50% wet by default.

@gripz - create a new audio track, arrangement view might be easier, and arm the track, you should see the volume meter spiking a little if your mics crap or your using headphones :p this means its automatically taking in incoming signal from your mic, then just hit record then play, a red bar should start growing on the arrangement view, and speak/sing and it will record.

when your happy with your recording, simply slice it up literally, zoom into parts you want to cut up, drag your mouse over parts so they highlight, and click cut and then paste it onto an empty area or new audio track, or copy paste, or just highlight and drag peices away from the clip, it slices up automatically, just give it a go youll see theres nothing to it.

once you have a sample you want to save, just loop the area of the sample you want to save, solo the track if you have other tracks going on, and go to file>export audio/video

also another cool feature is you can collect all the samples youve used in a project into the actual project folder, so it makes copies, and if you have any recordings they go into the project folder too, under ''recordings'', samples go into a folder called ''samples'' , all you do is click view - file manager, a thing will pop up to the right, find the button that says manage set, then under ''external files'' it will show samples that are being used, it should say something like ''collect samples into folder'' then a box that says yes or no, click yes, it goes yellow, this is from memory so it not exactly the same, then down the bottom of that screen theres a button that says collect and save, hit that, and its done.
all your recordings are now physically in your project folder, as well as copies of the samples you used from your library, so ableton can always find them, handy if you move your main library around a bit.

I think the wet/dry thing with sends is because you still have dry signal coming from the original track and wet from send, obviously if you reduce track fader on the original track then volume going to send reduces so that doesnt help. to get full 100% wet change the I/O to sends only on the original track. Then there is no dry signal going to the master, only wet/dry from the send which you can adjust from 100% dry to 100% wet.

also another cool feature is you can collect all the samples youve used in a project into the actual project folder, so it makes copies, and if you have any recordings they go into the project folder too, under ''recordings'', samples go into a folder called ''samples'' , all you do is click view - file manager, a thing will pop up to the right, find the button that says manage set, then under ''external files'' it will show samples that are being used, it should say something like ''collect samples into folder'' then a box that says yes or no, click yes, it goes yellow, this is from memory so it not exactly the same, then down the bottom of that screen theres a button that says collect and save, hit that, and its done.
all your recordings are now physically in your project folder, as well as copies of the samples you used from your library, so ableton can always find them, handy if you move your main library around a bit.

fuck yeah... been meaning to figuer this out for time!

I think the wet/dry thing with sends is because you still have dry signal coming from the original track and wet from send, obviously if you reduce track fader on the original track then volume going to send reduces so that doesnt help. to get full 100% wet change the I/O to sends only on the original track. Then there is no dry signal going to the master, only wet/dry from the send which you can adjust from 100% dry to 100% wet.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! haha cheers man!

Re: Ableton Thread?

Ablaton Live 8, has everything and more than any traditional daw, I said goodbye to Cubase since the version 8 came out, especially by the groups.

Does simpler or sample have any way to stretch a clip alot?
I mean.... a lot?

Also, unrelated, the only thing i dislike about ableton is it's TERRIBLE delay plugin.
man, it is just AWFUL.
Unless i'm using it all wrong.

Last edited:
um, i dont know about stretching clips in the sampler, maybe you might have to do streching and then resample and use in sampler, but sorry i dont know.

ands whats wrong with the delay? haha its as standard and normal as can be, does what delay should, theres two remember, ping pong and simple delay. you have to remember with simple delay for some reason the feedback knob is at 0% by default, so when i first started using ableton i was like ''why doesnt the delay ring out'' but its the feedback knob that makes the delay go for longer..whereas ping pongs feedback is already at like 50% or something..
i dunno..

is there something specific you could say you dont like about it?

um, i dont know about stretching clips in the sampler, maybe you might have to do streching and then resample and use in sampler, but sorry i dont know.

ands whats wrong with the delay? haha its as standard and normal as can be, does what delay should, theres two remember, ping pong and simple delay. you have to remember with simple delay for some reason the feedback knob is at 0% by default, so when i first started using ableton i was like ''why doesnt the delay ring out'' but its the feedback knob that makes the delay go for longer..whereas ping pongs feedback is already at like 50% or something..
i dunno..

is there something specific you could say you dont like about it?

...Oh. I didn't realise about the feedback. I suddenly like it now. :p
Anyway, for some strange reason I have an impulse rack which has mysteriously decided to mute itself, and I don't know where it's muted itself so it can't unmute it :| Also, are groove pools worth using?
And finally, when I use reverb, is there a way for it to just reverb the tail if i'm trying to add it to a sample of a voice or something? Or do I have to go and slice up the sample and choose the tiny segment, then make it just reverb on that......

Last edited:
ok, for impulse, off the top of my head : no idea. could be a few things :p, try just using a new one, maybe you fucked with the routing, try swtiching off all your FXs and returns, stuff like that, basically work backwards. im sure someone else might have better suggestions.

i dont know what a ''groove pool'' is , but if you mean all that groove stuff, i dont use groove at all, ive asked a few ''big name'' producers if they use groove and swing and they've said they dont, not in dnb, but yeah, that might or might not mean anything to you. just an opinion..

reverb: if you want it to catch the tail of a clip, you could fiddle with the predelay knob, that shifts the amount of time before the reverb comes in to the track, basically, a small start delay. or yeah, automation might be your best bet if its a long audio clip, you could simply automate the effect on and off, or the wet and dry, among other things..

Does simpler or sample have any way to stretch a clip alot?
I mean.... a lot?

Also, unrelated, the only thing i dislike about ableton is it's TERRIBLE delay plugin.
man, it is just AWFUL.
Unless i'm using it all wrong.

personally i think its fine? the simple on is the one i use and can create some wicked fx!... however, check out these if you don't like abletons own brand ;)

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

some other handy vst's there too!

---------- Post added at 11:36 ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 ----------

i love grove/swing... normally have it on snare and hats to give it a little more interest! lots of the 'groves' are shit, you just wana stick to the simple MPC inspired settings such as 16-1

Back
Top Bottom