1992 - The Afterlife (11/08/03) *atmospheric jungle tekno*

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
Story: There is something very different and interesting about this mix. This mix is unlike any other mix I've ever done. Can you spot it? If you can you may be able to win a prize. :readthis:

The theme of the mix is uplifting and downright dark jungle tekno string based tunes. With such a contrast of emotional tracks I could not help but to think of the xian concepts of heaven, hell, and purgatory. Even though I don't believe in such places as they are written, I do like them for the concept. In my own belief, I think heaven and hell to be the place we live in right now. Your life can be either heaven or hell. Ever hear of the phrase, "life is what you make of it."? Another factor which lead me to this theme was the tune "Mystery" by Pennywise. I've always thought the tune had a certain enrapturing spiritual quality and it seems I wasn't far off base. Just recently I discovered that the beautiful cords in the tune were ripped directly from the movie "Flatliners" (1990 w/ Julia Roberts & Kevin Bacon). The scene they were ripped from was when the character "Joe" visits the afterlife and finds it to be filled with his departed family and all the women hes ever known. The music fits the scene well and it fits Pennywise's "Mystery" even better. Sadly the cords in the movie were stereo and they were recorded into the Pennywise track as mono. I guess the Symphony Sounds studio wasn't all that great (Although "Really Livin" sounded much more dynamic).

CD cover art:
The_Afterlife_CDart.jpg

Tracklisting:
01). Fast Floor "Plight of the Innovators"
02). Two Dark Troopers "Darkcore"
03). Electronic Experienced "No. 303"
04). Fast Floor "Mind Sweeper"
05). Electronic Experienced "V 10 Overload"
++). Chimeira "Jacob's Ladder"
06). Kaos & Juliaset "Scud Beats"
++). Two Dark Troopers "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
07). Suburban Knight "Nitestrike"
08). Chimeria "Jacob's Ladder"
09). Inta Warriors "Aqua Pura"
10). Fast Floor "1000 Phons"
11). Two Dark Troopers "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
12). Inta Warriors "Your Love Is Yours"
13). Fast Floor "7th Heaven"
14). 1992 "Temple of Techno"
15). From The Man Like The Pennywise "Mystery"
16). Kaos & Juliaset "Atmosphere (Subbase Feild Mix)"
17). From The Man Like The Pennywise "Suspension of Disbelief"
18). Chimeria "Deeper Love"

Download:
The 192kbps 79.06min 44khz 108mb MP3

N-Joi :rofl:

Contest: No one won. I guess my first attempt at making a mix on my computer was pretty darn good. Thats right, this mix was made entirely in Acid Pro 4.0 in non-real time. In fact I only own two of the records in this mix, the Penny Wise tune and the UR tune. The Kaos & Julia set record I had but traded, thankfully I had enough foresite to save it to my friends DAT walkman so I can still n-joi it. The other tunes in this set come from my friends website, www.niceboots.com/breakizm so check that out if you like. Also I've always heard that mixing on the computer is easier then mixing on turntables. Let me be the first (?) to tell you that this is some sort of urban legend because that is not the case at all. If I were to have mixed this set on tables I could have done it in the time it takes to hear the mix. Instead this mix took me about 4 days to make on the computer and it was quite frustrating, especially mixing the non 4/4 909 kick drum tunes. It was fun though, and I can see doing it again some time. I'm glad to see it was appreciated and so good that no one could tell even though I lengthened the intro beats on a few tracks, that was the dead give away that should have tipped you off.

Last edited:
freeagent said:
Very nice mix indeed!!!

My guess: every track is 4 on the floor?

Thanks Jamie and Alex.

No Alex thats not it, tracks 02, 08, 11, 12, and 18 are pure breaks so every track isn't 4/4 kicks.

If no one gets it (which looks like will be the case), I'll expose what makes this mix unique and strange sometime xmas week.

:
Unfortunetly i cant hear the mix as i have no sound card on my P.C. at the
moment.

But my guess by looking at the track listing is that theres not 1 single piano break
in this set ?
Please correct me if im wrong !! :shrug:

Well that is also true but not what I was looking for. You can only figure it out by listening to the audio itself and having some knowledge in what the tunes sound like in the first place. The answer is only noticable in two spots (hint: the beginning of track 3 and the beginning of track 16).

:2thumbs:

New to this forum, and I have to say it's great to be able to listen to some old tunes that I have not heard for ten years or so.

Frank Zappa said:
New to this forum, and I have to say it's great to be able to listen to some old tunes that I have not heard for ten years or so.

Good to see Zappa on board, welcome!

Any relation to that famous guy who's one of my favorite musicians of all time? :O

Mixing in Acid is one thing 1992, but I think when people talk about mixing on a computer they mean using DJ software made specifically for mixing. Something like Traktor DJ or whatnot. You cue up the songs and it matches the beats automatically for you and you just tell it when to fade. Not as good as mixing w/ vinyl by any means, but it is easier.

what a beautiful set....

This site has provided me with so much music!

Big up your chests...all of you!

-a very thankful Canadian kid

interesting, I dont have the patience for 4 day mixes myself. But well done.

Why not use final scratch tho?

Thanks. Well I can't afford a final scratch system right now and if I could I would probably buy some more Martin MX-1s and a better DMX controler instead. - 1992

Last edited by a moderator:
Now updated with cartman art. Not much of a South Park fan but that episode was ssssssuper. I had a hard time finding that screen shot too.

Someone just sent me the link for this mix - which is great - but i was even happier to see 2 of my tunes in the mix...

So big up for that mate !!!

Oh, and it's a common mistake but the track was called 'Deeper Life' not 'Deeper LOVE' as everyone thinks..

Big ups none the less though, sir..

:)

Whats this? Your tunes? Get outta heeeere! Are you implying that your "Chimeria"? I see your posts here all the time and I never once thought for a second that you were a famous hardcore/jungle artist. - 1992

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom