Post video sets of yourself mixing here

Im a little bit fucked at the moment so i might be completely wrong, but it looks like youre dropping tunes by turning the deck on when you want it to drop.

Never seen that done before if it is actually whats happening.

Im a little bit fucked at the moment so i might be completely wrong, but it looks like youre dropping tunes by turning the deck on when you want it to drop.

lol , no mate sorry but I think you're wrong :p maybe it looks like this from the position of the camera . that would be indeed a little bit strange

i think what he means is......

you're pressing down real hard on the record, and that makes the platter stop completely. so when you're dropping the record, it takes the platter a second or so to catch up with the actual speed - ya get me?

idealy, it's better to apply as little pressure to the record and platter as possible. if you get a chance to watch a lot of top djs (andy c, friction - even sub focus to an extent) their touch on the record is so fine and minimal, it's almost non existant. and that's what it's about.

i think what he means is......

you're pressing down real hard on the record, and that makes the platter stop completely. so when you're dropping the record, it takes the platter a second or so to catch up with the actual speed - ya get me?

idealy, it's better to apply as little pressure to the record and platter as possible. if you get a chance to watch a lot of top djs (andy c, friction - even sub focus to an extent) their touch on the record is so fine and minimal, it's almost non existant. and that's what it's about.

Yes , I understand what you mean . thanks , really helpfull advice ! i'm gonna keep practising

1 quick word of advice...... dont touch the record when your mixin...... only if you speedin up...... even then only touch the center........ if you touch the edges its more like to stop completly...... or speed up toooo much....... think of it like a see-saw....... puts weights on the end it drops quick...... put them in the middle it drop slower...........

an exception to this is slowin the record....... use the metal around the deck platter....... but if your usin this tech then...... the best way i find to get an accurate slow done...... is to rest your fingers on the actual deck cassing and roll your finger towards the platter....... get much more accuracy with slowin........ when you get better you'll find you dont need to do this and will just naturally stroke the platter edge to slow it...........

once you get the hang of this......move on to "pitch riding".... which is were you only use the pitch to get it in time...... ie...... over compensating and then moving it back to the place you think it should be....... takes practice...... but stops that "slowin down" sound that you get when you touch the actual record........... most big names use this technique......

once you get the hang of this......move on to "pitch riding".... which is were you only use the pitch to get it in time...... ie...... over compensating and then moving it back to the place you think it should be....... takes practice...... but stops that "slowin down" sound that you get when you touch the actual record........... most big names use this technique......

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i was wondering about this for time, i knew the jist but didn't know u used the pitch to move it outta time to compensate, i get it now, i jus need some more responsive decks first i think, and i new mixer, some decent speakers wouldn't be bad either :cowbell:

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i was wondering about this for time, i knew the jist but didn't know u used the pitch to move it outta time to compensate, i get it now, i jus need some more responsive decks first i think, and i new mixer, some decent speakers wouldn't be bad either :cowbell:

glad to help bro..... i wouldnt worry about learning it untill you have got decks your gonna keep for good...... ie..... Vestax or Technics.......

but it is good to get used to though... as i find that technique is best for CD decks......

on the contrary... i pitch ride better and more effectivly on my mates gemini belt driven decks. find it fucking well easy to lock in - but i think that's because the pitch fader is well loose and ting. but, sall good.

daddy friction is king of riding the pitch, i've never ever seen him touch a record after dropping it. it's sick.

1 quick word of advice...... dont touch the record when your mixin...... only if you speedin up...... even then only touch the center........ if you touch the edges its more like to stop completly...... or speed up toooo much....... think of it like a see-saw....... puts weights on the end it drops quick...... put them in the middle it drop slower...........

an exception to this is slowin the record....... use the metal around the deck platter....... but if your usin this tech then...... the best way i find to get an accurate slow done...... is to rest your fingers on the actual deck cassing and roll your finger towards the platter....... get much more accuracy with slowin........ when you get better you'll find you dont need to do this and will just naturally stroke the platter edge to slow it...........

Yeah thanks for the advice mate , you explained it really well. I went upstairs to my decks and tried your tech. and it was going a lot better !

Really? Most DJs Ive seen play live were always forcing the record with their hands at least once, you can hear it on some recorded sets.

I learnt to mix on CD decks then progressed to vinyl, so I *never* touch the records but my pals tell me it's bad practise to pitch ride. To be honest I think it's whatever you're comfortable with

alz: speakers/amp make SOOOO much difference!! Much easier to mix at high volume when it's clean and crisp

alz: speakers/amp make SOOOO much difference!! Much easier to mix at high volume when it's clean and crisp

tell me bout it, i had a go on my mates alesis speakers and well, i didnt realise how shit i was! come a long way since then tho, i think hahahahah!

That's rubbish mate, don't listen to 'em. I don't touch the record/platter at all after dropping it

:word: if you pitch ride you've always got your other hand free to bring the track in or out or fuck about with the eq's

what is pitch riding? someone care to explain it for me?

You know when you've got two tunes in the mix and one starts to drift out...

Some people touch the record/platter/spindle to get the tunes back in sync. Pitch Riding is where you don't touch the record, but instead make an adjustment using the pitch fader. Eg rather than slowing the record with your finger, you momentarily slow the deck with the pitch fader.

I learnt to ride the pitch out of necessity. When I bought a very warped copy of Spaced Invader many moons ago, touching the record would always result in disaster. By riding the pitch the problem was solved

Last edited:
ah, sorry man. i was being sarcastic! i gotta learn to stop doing that on the web....
appologise!

My mate has sum stantons cnt remember wat ones and a djx700 mixer.
Hes only had em a couple of months and ive bene on them like 3 times a week and djing is so much harder than i actually thought it wud be.
Its so confusing and hard to keep the beatmatchin n shiz at the same even tho i shud b able to do it form ear but oh well.

Newayz just wondered how long it took everyone to start like smashing it everytime.

Cuz i reckon it wud take me fucking decades lol.

And also ne tips on mixing n shit.

Ne feedback welcome thanks.

bless.

I go either way me - sometimes I'll pitch ride, sometimes I'll touch the record (or more to the point the touch the platter or give the spindle a squeeze)

Depends on how out it is, and also the kind of track it is - tracks with longer notes, more drawn out melodies sound awful if you touch the platter... whereas tracks which are more beat led you can get away with it more as it's not so obvious...

A good example would be Jenna G's "In Love" - touch the platter when she's doing her "Looooooove" bit and it'll sound awful...

My mate has sum stantons cnt remember wat ones and a djx700 mixer.
Hes only had em a couple of months and ive bene on them like 3 times a week and djing is so much harder than i actually thought it wud be.
Its so confusing and hard to keep the beatmatchin n shiz at the same even tho i shud b able to do it form ear but oh well.

Newayz just wondered how long it took everyone to start like smashing it everytime.

Cuz i reckon it wud take me fucking decades lol.

And also ne tips on mixing n shit.

Ne feedback welcome thanks.

bless.

you'd better check out this thread for tips http://www.dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=50642

Back
Top Bottom