HOW TO BASSLINE Thread

One of my new fav's, I especially like the slightly detuned bassline (at least it sounds like that) when the drop kicks in.
Do you know how to reproduce it? I've tried and tried but never got something close enough to it. I have tried with FL Studio 11, Massive and 3x Osc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea how this bass at 0:45 was done? I can hear the notch filter sweeps. I think theres some detuning automation going on too. But i love the sense of urgency and tension it has.

Distortion+ wavetable synth like Massive. Maybe a bandreject filter. I think one of the sources is a formant. Reverb+ delay when release.

Was wondering how I would go about making the kind of moving liquid basses such as those found in this track at 1:30
Have tried to play around with various synths such as massive, but can't quite get the same result.
I realise it needs some sort of filtering in order to get the movement needed - do I need to split the low, mid and high parts of the bass to different channels?
Thanks! :)

You mean to compose using layers? And use them to apply a filter? Maybe you can get the same effect using a Bandpass filter. I think that Massive is not the best to this issue, but worth anyways.

You mean to compose using layers? And use them to apply a filter? Maybe you can get the same effect using a Bandpass filter. I think that Massive is not the best to this issue, but worth anyways.

Yeah, exactly that, but I can't get my basslines to sound as smooth as these liquid ones and was wondering really where i should start!

Yeah, exactly that, but I can't get my basslines to sound as smooth as these liquid ones and was wondering really where i should start!

Hey man!
Not quite sure if you are still looking for a good way to make a liquid bass like this, but i managed to make a nice moving harmonic liquid bass with massive.
Start off with a simple clean sine sub. Put on Chorus (in the FX Section) & try out some filters (the filters that are located right to the oscillators). I copied that instance of massive 2 times. Mess around with the filters and the change the settings of the chorus (Depth, Offset, Rate, Dry/Wet) till it sounds good. I used filters like Comp, Bandreject, Bandpass or Scream. Just try some of them, they kinda sound good :P And in third massive patch i put the sine oscillator one octave up, that also gives the bass sound more range in my opinion. For the extra spice some dimension expander as well on the third one.

Afterwards i resampled, copied 3 times. I left one of those clean, on the second i used some reverb and on the third i tried some Auto pan (from Ableton). Resample again - finished.
Try it out, i hope that helps :)

panning sub frequencies is not advisable. I suggest making everything under 200-300 hz mono and adding all that chorus, panning and reverb to the low/mid frequencies.

panning sub frequencies is not advisable. I suggest making everything under 200-300 hz mono and adding all that chorus, panning and reverb to the low/mid frequencies.
Hey cohma, did you ever listen to that resample i do with your bass in that thread you made? Just wondering your thoughts on that.

Alright, I just went through all 24 pages of this thread. All I have to say is THANK YOU to everyone who took a good chunk of their time to give guys like me a base of knowledge (what synths to get/effects/processing tips) to kickstart off of. Thank you, thank you, thank you, i'll post my efforts in the coming weeks and look forward to the feedback that ensues.

Alright, I just went through all 24 pages of this thread. All I have to say is THANK YOU to everyone who took a good chunk of their time to give guys like me a base of knowledge (what synths to get/effects/processing tips) to kickstart off of. Thank you, thank you, thank you, i'll post my efforts in the coming weeks and look forward to the feedback that ensues.

Thats awesome. Theres so many questions that could be answered by simply reading. Most people don't have that kind of drive to do even that, they just want bass patches for massive :fpalm: YOU my friend are a devoted individual. Good luck to you. :respekt:

If you want more, better stuff, have a look around the archives of the new DOA. It's a big mine but theres a lot of valuable gems

If you want more, better stuff, have a look around the archives of the new DOA. It's a big mine but theres a lot of valuable gems

Dogs on Acid, eh? Looks like I have a 2nd forum-night coming up! XD

Thank you Mania!

-----
Xiris

Back
Top Bottom