Culture Shock - City Lights

You sure? First time I've heard about City Lights has been some Culture Shock set back in 2011. I'd assume if City Lights were done back then it would appear on Nightlife 5 like I Remember/Protection/Ohrwurm. But hey, I haven't been there so you might be right :D

I'm pretty sure there's a youtube vid anyway, i'll try to find some solid evidence for ya ;)

- - - Updated - - -

There ya go, fucking June 09... Says it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he most likely goes to uni or something similar. He's clearly not too bothered it seems. I never think about djs having actual daytime jobs rather than just producing...

Lol Culture's like 30 man, and whether you like this tune or not it's hardly been rinsed even if it is a few years old, only a handful of people ever play it.

I always imagine the people that say this kinda thing just sit there on youtube refreshing a mix cut all day then complain they've heard it too much.

Anyway I imagine it'll drop with Piano Dark fairly soon though, an instrumental version would be nice as well but I don't really see that happening.

Vibe's still nice though.

Imagine if his next release is just something huge like a double LP with no build up, RAM are just like "available from all good record stores now" on some random day.

When spor did that with ziggurat/push me pull you it was a total flop and the vinyl didn't sell enough and so they stopped to do vinyl (yes, completely different scale etc.). I was told this is the reason why mefjus abandon/struggle and the pain was not on vinyl in the end even though it was lined up... Doubt they will do that kind of a move at ram, I wouldn't mind though! Things like the daft punk album had a huge marketing prior to the release, hype is never bad (well maybe too much as for this one seeing that all the forum people are turning their back on it lol). I don't think they care that much at ram, they have other producers to release music from. And this list seems to be ever growing. I'm sure they'd be happy to release more from him though. Dance music in general hasn't got much longevity... It's just about the next banger that will be hot in the club but forgotten after a year as there will be 20 new ones. Not this one, yes the wait has been stupidly long, but the tune is special. It still sounds like so fresh now as back when it first emerged. Rarely tracks pass the test of time nowadays, pretty sure this is/will be one of them. From the top of my head right now, I Remember was the last ram tune that was really special to me (and elevate this sound, they were released quite close together. 2012 was great!). As the tune has been sent around for a while now and the addition of the vocal I can see it coming out in the summer? July or something? Fingers crossed!

Imagine if his next release is just something huge like a double LP with no build up, RAM are just like "available from all good record stores now" on some random day.

Somewhat wouldn't surprise me.

The Rene La Vice LP and Nightlife 6 pretty much came out of nowhere.

When spor did that with ziggurat/push me pull you it was a total flop and the vinyl didn't sell enough and so they stopped to do vinyl (yes, completely different scale etc.). I was told this is the reason why mefjus abandon/struggle and the pain was not on vinyl in the end even though it was lined up...
was this what happened? what a stupid decision that was then, as Struggle & Pain was a great release - Ziggurat / Push Me Pull You was a shit release with 2 old Spor tunes....
as a shit release with 2 old Spor tunes....

Anyway I imagine it'll drop with Piano Dark fairly soon though, an instrumental version would be nice as well but I don't really see that happening.

Vibe's still nice though.

He said he scraped Piano Dark and it's not gonna come out...

When spor did that with ziggurat/push me pull you it was a total flop and the vinyl didn't sell enough and so they stopped to do vinyl (yes, completely different scale etc.). I was told this is the reason why mefjus abandon/struggle and the pain was not on vinyl in the end even though it was lined up... Doubt they will do that kind of a move at ram, I wouldn't mind though! Things like the daft punk album had a huge marketing prior to the release, hype is never bad (well maybe too much as for this one seeing that all the forum people are turning their back on it lol). I don't think they care that much at ram, they have other producers to release music from. And this list seems to be ever growing. I'm sure they'd be happy to release more from him though. Dance music in general hasn't got much longevity... It's just about the next banger that will be hot in the club but forgotten after a year as there will be 20 new ones. Not this one, yes the wait has been stupidly long, but the tune is special. It still sounds like so fresh now as back when it first emerged. Rarely tracks pass the test of time nowadays, pretty sure this is/will be one of them. From the top of my head right now, I Remember was the last ram tune that was really special to me (and elevate this sound, they were released quite close together. 2012 was great!). As the tune has been sent around for a while now and the addition of the vocal I can see it coming out in the summer? July or something? Fingers crossed!

Lifted =/= RAM. As much as I didn't find that single annoying like many others did it was certainly the poorest single Spor has ever put out and they can't really be surprised it didn't sell well...if only they would rather release that Jade's EP on vinyl...or any of the Neonlight's releases later...

I know it's all about personal taste etc and I've said it before, but I don't really see anything that special about City Lights, if anything it's a really mediocre Culture Shock tune (in other words it's still good, but not as good as anything he has done in the last 5 years or so). Both Piano Dark and especially Raindrops are stories above this.

really? what makes you think its ever coming out let alone soon?

I had a big chat with him at Fabric in December, it's very unlikely he would want to release it. However after my encouraging words hopefully he changed his mind lol :-/

I had a big chat with him at Fabric in December, it's very unlikely he would want to release it. However after my encouraging words hopefully he changed his mind lol :-/

Even though loads of people are after City Lights/Piano Tune and have been for years, what reason is there to not release them.
It's not like he has released any other tunes in the past 2 years...what does he do in the studio. Compared to Break for example, who has a huge, bloody amazing and consistent backcat....

really? what makes you think its ever coming out let alone soon?

I'm just assuming after he'd made the effort to put together a brand new version of it, and then for that to be on Nightlife 6, that it might actually come out lol It could quite easily just not though if he's not 100% happy with it.

Then again, look what happened with Stomp, you never know.

I know for a fact Culture does have a release in the pipeline though, amongst the next few.

I'm just assuming after he'd made the effort to put together a brand new version of it, and then for that to be on Nightlife 6, that it might actually come out lol It could quite easily just not though if he's not 100% happy with it.

Then again, look what happened with Stomp, you never know.

I know for a fact Culture does have a release in the pipeline though, amongst the next few.

The reason he updated it was to see if he could change it to something he was more fond of, but like he said, he wants to forget about it. It's a great shame and I told him the amount of people who would love it to see a release, he didn't seem too fussed. Roll on RAMM200...

Back
Top Bottom