Your methods of making sub bass

Discussion in 'Production' started by Cat Gas, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Its an interesting one because I know some people don't bother with it (not in a jump up way, but in a- they can have one bassline which just about handles it) because i've been on a hunt to make the deepest most thick sub bass possible. :D

I'm trying to get the fine line between the right amounts of saturation, and compression so it doesn't sort of crackle but goes ultra deep. My triangle waves must be sort of dirty... o_O

2. Krispy

Krispy Member

I take the midi-notes from my bassline

Duplicate these notes and paste them into my subbass channel
    Sub channel with have a synth with a sine wave, then I lower the midi notes by a few octaves and EQ accordingly
    Sometimes I also make the sub notes a tad longer than the original notes or combine two short notes into one long note... etc..

Seems to work for me most of the time

Shouldn't really need any EQing if done properly to be honest but I still like to lowpass anyways

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

most of the time, a single sine in the same, or similar pattern to my bass but on a lower octave, as above... i wanna know how breakage gets his

4. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

I've been doing like you all, with the sine wave, which is nice and clean and deep easy enough, but lacking in personality so I'm experimenting a bit with lowpassed squares and saws, just to get a bit more grit.

5. spung3

spung3 Member

Something I've been favouring is Sin-Tri waveform in massive at 12oclock so it makes a fatter sine.

6. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

I like to use a sine, often with a pitch envelope, sumtimes a saw filtered @ <100-150hz, depending on the sounds above it

7. Wrigzilla

Wrigzilla broke but not broken

For me 90% of the time a sine wave will suffice (with maybe a bit of sauturation but nothing too dractic). If however I'm doing a tune where the bass is pretty much all sub then it's either really low passed square or saw waves and then resampled or alternatively a reese really low passed then pitched down.

Also the tail from an 808 kick is pretty heavy, try looping that.

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ill lowpass something. anything. a pad most recently for a really rich sub.

9. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

i just do a sine wave low passed. but after reading the above posts will be playing with some other things..... thanks for the tips

10. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

you lowpass a sine? sure? not trying to be funny here, but thats hardly necessary when you can just pitch it if you want it lower

11. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

12. T Leaf

T Leaf Neighbourhood Sickhead

lol generally - 3osc 1 sine oscillator rolling through on a pitch bend. Cant get deeper, its the fundemental waveform shaping for an 808 - think about that.

Or if i like the low end on my mid - I'll seperate my sub - mid hi and have them work in individual channels, probably grouping them again to controll overall levels.

Some people dont like sub bass that changes level through the track - i do though lol - thats why i uses low passed reeces alot to have a bit of dynamism in the sub - great for breakdowns. HTH mate

13. ruksi

ruksi Member

i use a single sine in mono, and stick it through the scream 4 distortion unit in reason. put it on distortion setting and play around with the parameters a bit.. normally get a fat sounding gritty sub.. but good to read other techniques will give them a go too :)

14. IbbyDnB

IbbyDnB Member

either bounce/duplicate w/e my bassline and hipass the audiable bassline if you like to about 130hz, then on the duplicated version, low pass it to same. and boost about 60hz. accordgin to dan le sac alot of system have a sweet spot around 60hz and it will give a nice big sound.noteation is usualy simpler, with a bit more groove. or i just use a low passed sine or square to about 130hz and give it a little glide or portamento to give it some movement. but other than that i think if you compress your sub it makes it sound smaller! and also if you layer sinewaves i find that tends to make it sound abit week i think geting you sub in the mix right could have more to do with it appearing rich and thick than actual processing coz think about it? what can you really do to a sound thats inaudiable? your only supposed to feel the sub and hear abit of the tone, but either way hope it helps!

15. Yobbo

Yobbo Member

Doesn't anyone use Triangles? I think they're ace!

16. omowglio

omowglio Member

i dunno about this one depends on the track i tend to have a lot of low energy in my bass cz i re-sample and pitch em down, however if i do a sub-bass its gta b eiter duplicated triangles, or single sine waves with added harmonics, im a logic user but find that thor from reason is really good to do this with becasue one of the ocilator types has a harmonic setting. attatch teh amp to an enveloppe or lfo (very subbtle), low pass, stereo to mono only eq to taste but i agree with above if u do it right u shouldnt need to eq much. otherewise 808 is bang on

sounda