Would you buy this?

Blue Dog

Hi all.

I hope I can get some advice from the awesome people that visit these forums. (yeah, that was a compliment to YOU so now you MUST answer this thread) :)

I'm a total newbie to mixing, but thought I might start doing some mixes at home. A friend of mine has some equipment I might buy, and thats where you all come in to the picture.

What do you think of the following equipment, and what would you pay for it? (I realize that depends on where you live, of course, but any help is welcome. I live in Stockholm, Sweden, BTW)

Record players: numark TT2 and TT100. Apparently he has two different players. Is that a problem? They where pretty expensive when he bought them but that was a few years (about 5, I think, not sure) back, is that a problem?

Mixer: stanton sk 2F. About the same age I think. I imagine a mixer might survive longer that a record player, but as I said, I'm a newbie. Might be wrong.

All in all, I'm very grateful for any help. Please help me come to a decision here. No price has yet been discussed, I thought I'd ask here before I suggested a price.

THANK YOU for any help.

They're both used decks that pretend to be Technics and aren't much better, so don't bother. The mixer is a good one but its probably seriously battered after 5 years. A mixer wears out more quickly than a deck. My Numark is gasping after 4 years of light usage and a couple of repairs.

This is going to be very used equipment, probably in need for renovation.

Also - why different turntables? They're going to work differently.

All in all - not a good deal unless you pay 100-200 EURO for the package and you're looking to have to spend money on new heads for the decks and possibly a serious renovation on the mixer.

Look instead for somebody selling Technics and a newer mixer.

Hm. Thats was a rather unexpected answer, I must say.
I know he hasnt really been playing much the last couple of years, so that might be a plus, but on the other hand that stuff has been through a few journeys back and forth between his house and this pub he used to play at.
Hm. I guess I might still buy them if he gives me a good price, but I doubt it will be as low as you suggested, so it will probably not be worth it then...
Thanks a bunch for the advice though!

I definitely second this, and would not recommend buying inferior decks and would always say go technics, technics, technics.

Also - why different turntables? They're going to work differently.

This is a key point. You need to get a feel for your decks and each one has to be the same as different ones may be sturdier etc
for example on deck 1 you may need to push the vinyl more than for deck 2 or vice versa, if this makes sense as you need to learn how much to push records on and how to give them little push ons, i know this may sound confusing, but maybe you get what i mean as if they're different decks then you will have to push on deck 1 more/less than deck 2 for the same record say that would need the same push on, on the same decks

I know, when you're a newbie it's tempting to go for cheaper (and inferior decks) and technics are very expensive, but trust me they're worth it. Basically if you got good on those cheaper decks you would need to upgrade to technics anyway so why go though that extra step, if you see what i mean. Plus if you have learnt on cheaper decks, well when you buy technics they will feel differently and will take you a while to get to grips with them.

I guess, of course it's up to you whether you buy them or not, but personally would always try and disuade anyone from buying inferior decks, as technics are the best for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom