Vinyl releases?

We are in an age now where people don't have to buy the music to hear it not when they can stream it all day long for free. Everythings changing. I hardly pay for music now because there's that much good music being given away on a daily basis there's no need.

Im not complaining but I do feel for people still trying to knock out 2 track vinyl's for £5+

bpi-1.png

well yes, if your streams don't even cover the cost of having basic artwork done then it's going to be hard to make anything work.
not sure why that would deliver quality over quantity though, in the streaming world the opposite will be the case

And the money you get from each stream is far less than 0.15% of what you get from a download?

By more quality over quantity I meant that indie labels will have to really really believe in the music they're releasing if they are going to do so at a high personal cost. I think i've lost my own point - nevermind

And the money you get from each stream is far less than 0.15% of what you get from a download?

if a track sells for £0.79 on itunes - the store takes around 30%, leaving you £0.55.
Then your distributor takes 15% leaving you about £0.46 from the sale.

If spotify pays £0.006 per stream you'd need 92 plays of the track to achieve the pre-distributor deduction of £0.55.
almost no one plays a track that much.

the label sees a lot more than 0.15% of revenue from a digital download man

I was asking if the profit from each stream comes close to 0.15% of the profit from a download.

if a track sells for £0.79 on itunes - the store takes around 30%, leaving you £0.55.
Then your distributor takes 15% leaving you about £0.46 from the sale.

If spotify pays £0.006 per stream you'd need 92 plays of the track to achieve the pre-distributor deduction of £0.55.
almost no one plays a track that much.

Thanks. So it makes sense to diversify revenue streams as much as possible, be that by running a label club night or selling merchandise. Samurai have done this well - setting up SMG and acting as the store for many different, smaller labels. While doing that, they've managed to keep pressing vinyl across all of their sub labels.

Back
Top Bottom