To anyone who has managed to make a living off music

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
As the title says...

I'd be interested to hear people's stories on how they got where they are... what background they had etc ad also from people who are building towards it.

Normal 9-5 just seems so monotonous in something I never imagined I'd do (engineering) and surely making enough to survive through music is a possibility right?

As the title says...

I'd be interested to hear people's stories on how they got where they are... what background they had etc ad also from people who are building towards it.

Normal 9-5 just seems so monotonous in something I never imagined I'd do (engineering) and surely making enough to survive through music is a possibility right?

It would be interesting to hear what @Serum has to say about this, if you've got a minute please Mark!

Is it possible? Yes. But will take a lot of hard work and some luck as well.

I tried going to the "normal" path of a musician, putting out music and looking for good deals with labels. But then I got a little frustrated of what the music industry could offer in return.

Then I decided I would use my talent to other thing that I love, which is soundtracks for films/games. I'm just starting (I have only 1 year doing this), but I already got some jobs, some contacts and one of my soundtracks was awarded in a chinese independet film contest.

So, basically, you can live off of music. You just need to be willing to make some sacrifices to achieve it.

Streaming and song licensing will be the music industries main monetary line for years to come, start building up those soundcloud + spotify accounts ASAP! Even if its less than what you had planned on, its still somewhere to begin collecting on your hard work!

I'm in the same situation as yourself, working a dull & grinding full time job whilst aiming to break through as a producer (making that my career).

Put hours and hours of hard work into your music. When your tracks reflect that quality, people will sign & buy them.

I always go buy the saying "A master has failed more times than an apprentice has tried".

yes i feel your pain man :) the one bonus is it funds all the tools needed to escape with music eh :)

I think it is possible but takes a lot of years of work of building up a fanbase and supplying more than just tracks.

I think production seminars is a good way to go, although not enough to provide a solid income just one of many possible options :) I feel likle for that to be succesful you need to make a name for yourself production wise first.

I was going to say be an audio engineer with a 9-5, so I guess I'm not much help here. :eek:

Based on what I've seen on other styles, live shows and touring is the most effective way people will get to know you unless you have a load of money for promo.

Back
Top Bottom