THIS WAY UP ARTIST AGENCY PODCAST 006 - MATT-U + Interview

RUSE_RECORDS

TWUlogo11.GIF

We are proud to present the This Way Up Artist Agency Podcast 006 Featuring MATT-U Dubstep!!!

mattuduballlogos.jpg

Showcasing monthly Podcasts from the agencies extremely talented artists.

mattudubnet.jpg

This Way Up Artist Agency Podcast 006 - Featuring MATT-U.

Track List:

01. MATT-U - Compass
02. N-TYPE & THE OTHERS - Technophobia - (Wheel&Deal DUB)
03. MATT-U - Jump - (Wheel&Deal DUB)
04. RICO TUBBS - Gansters [TESLAROK remix] - (Menu Music DUB)
05. MATT-U - Free Me - (S.C.U.M. DUB)
06. MATT-U - Chase Pack - True Tiger
07. BENGA & WALSH - Crowd Song
08. MATT-U - Closer - (Wheel&Deal DUB)
09. RUCKSPIN & PLANAS - Oxygen - Rankin Records
10. FUSED FORCES - Chest Infection - (Substance Abuse DUB)
11. NOAH D - TBC - (Subway DUB)
12. HEADHUNTER - Experience
13. MATT-U - Victim - (Dub4life DUB)
14. MATT-U - Black Lodge
15. LEFTFIELD - Phat Planet [bootleg] (DUB)
16. MATT-U - Peyote - (S.C.U.M. DUB)
17. DJ MADD - Pause

MP3::
32mb | 128kb | 34min 51 secs

podcast1.jpg
Will be available on iTunes next Week search This Way Up Artist Agency Podcast 006

icon122.gif
Click here to download MP3 direct from Beatplexity.com

UK Promoters interested in Matt-U around Feb 14th please get in touch as he will be inthe country.

This Way Up Artist Agency:
Web: http://www.twuagency.co.uk/mattudub
Email: bookings@twuagency.co.uk
AIM: AfterThaEnd and TWUAgency
TEL: 0044 7979 325 737
TWUlogo11.GIF

Matt-U Interview:

Q. Hi Matt-U, you started off producing Drum and Bass, and went on to release on some of the scenes leading and revolutionary labels including Timeless & Moving Shadow, you’ve now branched out to Dubstep making a huge impact with Dubstep’s number one DJ’s supporting your tunes and releases on some of the scene most forward thinking labels, how has the transition from Drum and Bass to Dubstep been?

When I produced my first dubstep tune I had been making d&b for 5 years and I kinda got bored over the tempo and beat patterns, I then decided to have a short break and test myself in other genres. After I saw N-type and Teslarok playing my beats I thought I should make a couple more tunes. I wouldn’t say I’ll stopped making d&b forever (I’ve just started a collab with Jade, Brooklyn and Rido), I just enjoy making dubstep a lot more right now. The transition came really fast and unexpected, but I’m glad it did.

Q. You were also a member of Soulproof who also had a big dub, reggae influence, do you think this helped your transition into dubstep and what else helps influence your music?

Well I don’t really use reggae samples or vocals in my dubstep tunes, there are a couple of reggae influenced tunes that I like but that’s not what helped me in the transition. What really helped is that all the ideas I had during these 5 years that didn’t work in d&b because of the tempo which are coming into surface, and the neighbours don’t knock on the wall that often either. :]

Q.How long have you been DJing for and what has been one of your favorite moments?

I’ve been DJing for over 5 years. One of my favorite gigs was in Bologna, I haden’t play in Italy before and didn’t know what time people usually arrive to parties. I was supposed to start at 1.30, but at 0.30 only 20-30 people were present in the otherwise huge club. I was really disappointed and decided to go backstage and find a solution to the problem (drink), an hour later when I went on the stage 1400 people were dancing, and most of them stayed until 8 – it was a big big rave.

Q. What are your top 5 tunes at the moment?

Headhunter – Experience
Teslarok – Virgin Girls
N-Type & The Others – Technophobia
Deekline – Back Off (TRG remix)
Benga & Walsh – Crowd Song

Q. Any tips you can give on how to create a good punchy kick?

I usually use house kicks with big subs, cutting them at about 150-200hz, keeping the sub range and sidechain with the subbass. I also layer a transient on the kick sample to add a little "click” sound to it.

Q. We understand you’ll be playing your first England gig this February, what other exciting news have you got? (releases ect.)

I'm really happy about those gigs, can’t wait for them! Until then my next 12” will probably be out on S.C.U.M. (Subway’s sister-label) with ’Free me’ and ’Peyote’ on it. Another 12” is forthcoming on N-type’s new label, Wheel & Deal (’Jump’/’Closer’), it will be released in March, and ’Victim’ is forthcoming on Dub4life.
Matt-U Audio - http://www.myspace.com/mattudub

Q. If you could spend a week on any beach in the world where would it be?

I cannot stay more than a day on a beach without getting bored, so I would stay one day on a Sicilian beach then hire a car and discover the island, I can never get enough of that area!

IMG_1344_web.27991105_std.jpg

TWUlogo11.GIF

Back
Top Bottom