The Emergency State of Detroit Jungle

Trial

Mash-Up Raggamuffin
Good morning everybody.
I'm posting this because as somebody passionate about the art of jungle, I'm appalled at my own hometown's reaction to it. It's really quite sad...it seems that more people show up for a show with a happy hardcore headliner than a jungle headliner. I mean yeah. Detroit's legendary for it's techno and all. Therefore logically it seems it would be all about some rugged ass jungle...but on the contrary. Half the scene out here currently is a bunch of jaded elitist techno purists who look at anything but Detroit techno as shit on a stick. The other half is a bunch of candykid ass adolescents who are scared of jungle and prefer the cheezed out repetativeness of happy hardcore. Only a minimal fraction of club and party heads out here seem to give a fuck about the junglist movement (big ups to Todd Osborn aka Soundmurderer and Tadd Mullinx aka SK-1 holdin' it down @ Rewind Records...check em out for some sick D-town ragga shit @ http://www.rewind-records.com ). Check it. We have numerous clubnights. The 2 (in a week!) jungle nights usually draw less than 100 (in many cases less than 50). The other options are booty, hip hop, top 40, or trancy bullshit...and always packed. What's a junglist to do? Anybody with some advice please share it, cuz it's getting quite frustrating just assaulting crowds with classic ragga swells when there is no crowd there...

hey mate, welcome to the best forum. that is an interesting post, I wondered what drum'n'bass was doin in Detroit (true!). The first thing that comes to mind is that scenes become self-sustaining when there is a variety present, either events which feature a range of styles, or club nights catering to different styles eg. jump-up, or liquid/funky, or hard-as-nails.
I don't mean any scene should split musically, just that when its driven by interest in one style such as ragga people get bored.
I could go on about what I think, but I won't. :ban:
Don't worry about the candy-kids, the lucky ones will convert, the others can do whatever right?

and rewindradio is cool :afro:

Well look at it this way. Jungle (as you call it, 2-step beats are hardly jungle to me but whatever), isn't all that great right now. Infact its pretty damn boring save for Spirit's remix of the 93 classic "Sinister".

You may not know it yet but your at the nexus of one of the greatest forms of dance music in the world, Detroit Techno! I'd love to be able to go out every week to hear the repetative dance your ass off rhythms of Detroit techno. I'd concider yourself lucky that you have the option of dancing to this stuff. I wouldn't mind being in your shoes! Also the best thing about detroit Techno is that it sounds exactly the same as it did 10 years ago which is a plus because if jungle sounded the way it did 10 years ago, I wouldn't be able to bitch about how boring the rhythm section of the jungle tracks are. N-JOI the Detroit techno m8!

1992 said:
Well look at it this way. Jungle (as you call it, 2-step beats are hardly jungle to me but whatever), isn't all that great right now. Infact its pretty damn boring save for Spirit's remix of the 93 classic "Sinister".

You may not know it yet but your at the nexus of one of the greatest forms of dance music in the world, Detroit Techno! I'd love to be able to go out every week to hear the repetative dance your ass off rhythms of Detroit techno. I'd concider yourself lucky that you have the option of dancing to this stuff. I wouldn't mind being in your shoes! Also the best thing about detroit Techno is that it sounds exactly the same as it did 10 years ago which is a plus because if jungle sounded the way it did 10 years ago, I wouldn't be able to bitch about how boring the rhythm section of the jungle tracks are. N-JOI the Detroit techno m8!

Its not like you can't hear Detroit-style techno anywhere else though, most cool cities have it somewhere. It doesn't sound the same as it did ten years ago either imo, its better.

A question: why are people scared of jungle? Is it seen as a 'black' thing? :gimp:

1992, have you heard the new generation of Detroit techno? I don't think you'd like it at all. I hear a lot of the new stuff all the time at the record shop, and it's alot of electro and trance crossover stuff. Eh....

As for the original topic, welcome to the US, man! Don't expect things to change unless you get out there and put foot to pavement, finger to keyboard, and ear to speaker.

There is ome amazing Detroit techno out there, i would never disagree with that. But there's nothing really in Detroit nowadays for those of us who are bored with the 4/4 beat patterns that run amok in techno, house, and the such. And as for 1992's '2-step' referral, I can only think of about 1 dj out here that has the gall to drop 2-step (and pretty well at that)...
...its like in 2000, there were 1000-2000 peeps coming out for shows....now we're lucky to get 300.

detroit? aint that where eminem is from?
why dont you get him to big up sum jungle nights!!

although he is normally more interested in whingeing and moaning and pickin fights with people!

hang on in there man u know peeps will come around eventually u just gotta show dem da light!

freeagent said:
1992, have you heard the new generation of Detroit techno? I don't think you'd like it at all. I hear a lot of the new stuff all the time at the record shop, and it's alot of electro and trance crossover stuff. Eh....
I heard some of that stuff on submerge.com and wasn't too pleased with it but I figure thats got to be only one small sub section of detroit techno...

The stuff that was in that friends set of yours that you sent me a link to was _A_MAZ_ING_! Speaking of which, the link to his main website that you sent me never worked. I'd like to download more of his stuff!!!!

That was mostly German techno in that set you linked me too way back? WOW, no wonder I dig Germany so much.... I thought all they did was lame trance.

Back
Top Bottom