Drum & Bass Synths or Samples?

Discussion in 'Production' started by wonkywallabe, Sep 17, 2011.

1. wonkywallabe

wonkywallabe New Member

What do you use predominantly in your production, synths or samples? For drums I use exclusively samples, except for the occasional noise effects or synth percussion. However when getting those nasty mid crunches and rumbling bass noises there is free reign to either create it from scratch with a synth, or use things such as FX bass drums or filtered and resampled audio to get the desired effect. Please share your opinions and any audio editing/sound design techniques you find most effective, and of course the kind of sound you are trying to create with these methods.

Here's an example of two of my tracks, the first is all samples apart from the bassline, and the second is all synths, except for the drums and some of the ambient noise. Please feel free to share your music as examples!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJLond6G4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j403_RmS3Q

2. CPR

CPR Codec - Mirrors Audio

i personally find a good balance from using both, each haing their advantages. But more often than not vocal samples ect seem to really add alot more character than just synth work.

3. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

This question is asked a lot, and I think you'll find most of the answers will be a combination of the two.

I don't always go the same source when making a track, I've made some cool percussive sounds using (soft)synths and wicked pads from manipulating samples.

Sometimes whatever works, works.

4. RedRavenRuler

RedRavenRuler boom baby

Yeah per the usual, a mixture of both is what I do... I think the reason is once you know how to do more techniques you just kinda fiddle around with whatever grabs your attention or seems to get the idea you have in mind down the quickest for that moment.

5. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

other than a tone generator to make sub bass all samples here

6. fluid.element

fluid.element Member

I've just started out, but I use samples for kicks, hats and so on but soft synth for making sub bass and leads/pads.

7. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

I like to use samples to add Texture to sounds, but not usually for the main part of the sound itself, except for percussion

8. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I will use anything I can if I think it will get me close to the sound in my head.

9. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i sample my synths. so both. but mainly samples.

10. yogi23

yogi23 Member

i love to use samples to get me going like making a drone or something atmospherical out a few samples and fx