DnB SUB BASS HELP PLEASE

KRYOS

Hey Everyone,
My questions are........

1. Other than just general referencing with your ears/spectrum analyzer, how do people go about placing the sub at the right level for their tracks..?

2. So far I have been muting/unmuting the sub channel as the track is playing.... ill stop and raising the sub volume just before it starts to take away volume from the whole song....
Is this a good practice, or should I just get the sub as loud as I want and then automate the song volume down when the subs not playing (so the track doesnt suddenly get louder when theres no sub playing?)

3.Does anyone know typically how low club speakers go?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think it's very much about eq when it comes to sub. Make sure everything else in that frequency range has had an eq dip in the sub range or a roll off. Also processing the sub so the harmonics pop is important.

The sub hits unevenly on different notes in terms of volume (g4 is louder than a c4 etc) so I will normally even out the volume on the notes as I program that. It's basic knowledge but it's important.

Calibre low passes his entire tune to check sub content, that's a good idea tbh

Thanks for the reply very intersting I will check Calibre... What abut pushing the sub hard into a limiter would that even the volume? or is it more about tone that causes loudness?
Cheers man

Thanks again man!!! Another interesting thought to bounce a sub and have each note in audio at the same vol...thens theres always a "go to" sub folder aswell
Awesome cheers!

If your sub is just a sinewave, a compressor will only raise its volume to the threshold you set. So, there isn’t a difference between just pushing the volume knob up and putting a compressor in there (of course we’re not talking latency here).

With a sub with more harmonics, it’ll just make these more noticeable (good for small speakers), but can simply make it unbearably loud.

For what its worth , cut the sub at around 35 hrz..you can go lower , but you wasting power / headroom. Compression is useful in a way, but why I would suggest it get your raw track and bounce each track to audio , then start to eq and compress ..thi sway you can double tracks, and use EQing to bring out the range you really want etc in mids, and in subs you can control the vol.

Its also all about the separation......which is why mastering solutions use multiband compressors /decompressor /limiter etc

I need a new PC and up to date software , but I know I am gonna have another crack at production... I just had no time for a long time

AND old school hardware rocks..got myself an AKAI S3000 for under Q£100 eeek

Eq and volume. Dont push your sub into the limiter, i find i get weird results when mastering if my subs coming thru too hard in the mixdown. I do use my spectrun analyzer (SPAN) to make sure my sub isnt punching louder than anything else, but ultimately i put it up against other tunes on my system n compare in Serato to test it, then tweak from there. This is just another one of many methods you can try.

..Also, occasionally multiband compression, if the sub bass is part of my main bass sound.

Thanks xiris, using serato is a great idea....... got to dig out the turntables, its been a while :)

Back
Top Bottom