Sparkle question here.

Levski

Hi guys.

I have a question about sound design. Does anybody know how to make sparkle sound like here: http://www.freesound.org/people/alex@vsi.tv/sounds/170523/
I was trying to search in web for couple a days for any tutorials via any possible names such as: Chimes, sparkle, glitter sound. But seems no tutorials exist. Or it`s just me, who putting wrong name in a search bar.
Can any body help me out with creating gorgeous sound like in example here?

You know freesound.org is a samplebank of free sounds right? Why try making that kinda sound when you could download that exact same sample you just linked us to?

The more i learn about making sounds the more I realise you just have to deconstruct the sound into the components you hear within, there's no big mystery. There's probably a number of ways to make this sound, but to me that sounds like breaking glass sample put through a bunch of delays and maybe some reverb, with some white noise added in. Better ears on this forum may correct me, but that's what I'd try if I were you. If trying to get this through a synth then you need very short percussive cymbal like sounds, lots of them.

yeh i cant see the benifit of spending ages trying to create something which heavily based on the sample you start with :/ Do you have a decent mic?

I deconstructed sound ages ago. And I agree with lasiien. Now the problem is to synthesize this cymbal type of sound as close as possible!

For chimes, and making it from the very scratch with a >SYNTH< your very friend is FM modulation. Getting a synth to be modulated by another synth high synth in the attack with triangle and sine waves on very high notes are almost the sound of a bell.

If you don't want to record chimes themselves you'd have to get your head around FM modulation then play a bunch of either next of those I believe:
Bunch of the same note but with different colour (for example, changin the modulation on each hit)
Bunch of different notes ON THE SAME SCALE or it may sound horrid.

Those are my 2 cents. If further information required I believe there was a tutorial... Yup here it is.
http://www.propellerheads.se/substa...dex.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=part30

If you want to hear the final sound go straight to Sound #7 at the bottom of the tutorial.

Would be quite difficult to recreate this sound. If I were personally going to approach this sound I'd think a lot to delay with a high percentage of feedback would be needed. I'd also look at an arpegeation to play through a series of 4 notes played in a high octave. This is how I'm visualizing making it. If you have an access Virus Ti2 there is a patch on the user bank pretty much identical to this. I'd also recommend a nice hall reverb. Hope this helps

Thanks Neomind. I actually went through that tutorial when I was using reason))) and now completely forgot that. Thank you for refreshing! I am just learning FM. It is quite complicated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Paul Ashmore, yes that could me a way as well!

I reckon you would need to start recording some actual sounds, metalic clinkings etc then apply lots of processing, eq, reverb, chorus etc

clink some chains around or something

also sounds like there's some metal windchimes in there

and some white noise maybe

Back
Top Bottom