Some help on equipment..

Hey a bit of help, how exactly do you connect the monitors? Depending on if I get passive/active.
(I have an amp anyway)

Passive monitors:

DAW > Audio Interface (soundcard) > External Mixer (if you use one) > Amp > Monitors

The benifit of using an external mixer or monitor controller is that you've got control over the monitor levels without having to change your master fader in your DAW, or your amp level.

Active monitors is the same, just without the amp stage, so:

DAW > Audio Interface > External Mixer > Monitors

If you do run the signal through a mixer before your speakers, remember that in general its best to keep the EQ on it flat, as you want to be hearing the sound exactly as its coming out of your DAW, having it EQ'd between your computer can cause problems when mixing down, or even making the sounds in the first place.

Passive monitors:

DAW > Audio Interface (soundcard) > External Mixer (if you use one) > Amp > Monitors

The benifit of using an external mixer or monitor controller is that you've got control over the monitor levels without having to change your master fader in your DAW, or your amp level.

Active monitors is the same, just without the amp stage, so:

DAW > Audio Interface > External Mixer > Monitors

If you do run the signal through a mixer before your speakers, remember that in general its best to keep the EQ on it flat, as you want to be hearing the sound exactly as its coming out of your DAW, having it EQ'd between your computer can cause problems when mixing down, or even making the sounds in the first place.

Oh okay I see now.
I'm thinking of picking up some KRK RP5 monitors since a lot of people have given me quite good feedback on them and worth the price.
I need a new soundcard for my PC anyway, does anyone have any reccomendations?
I have PCI Slots unfortunately no PCI-E slots.

That depends on what you want to do really, hes said he doesn't want overly pricey high end equipment, and going and getting Moog synths to decide theyre not what you actualy want is an expensive game.
Maybe true, but if money's not an issue like he said then why not pick up something sweet. It pays off in the long run to have some gems in the studio. As your main devices.

Oh okay I see now.
I'm thinking of picking up some KRK RP5 monitors since a lot of people have given me quite good feedback on them and worth the price.
I need a new soundcard for my PC anyway, does anyone have any reccomendations?
I have PCI Slots unfortunately no PCI-E slots.
While everyone has given you good advice, don't be like so many people out there: Just using vst's etc... Get some hardware and enjoy using it. There's nothing like actually playing with real things as opposed to clicking a mouse on the screen.

Maybe true, but if money's not an issue like he said then why not pick up something sweet. It pays off in the long run to have some gems in the studio. As your main devices.

He said that in his first post, but also said in another he doesnt want to be spending loads on high end equipment that he wont be able to use, think thats why people are suggesting plug-ins.

My main interest is recording/producing/mixing live music, so I fully understand the advantages to hardware. My trouble is, the sort of hardware gear for that sort of thing is even more than hardware synths etc.

When I build a new studio (hopefully in the not to distant future!) Then I'll be slowly adding bits of hardware and using less plug-ins with each purchase hopefuly.

I'd love some Neve pre-amps and SSL EQ's, but I think I'll have to put up with the modeled plug in versions for a while first!

Back
Top Bottom