So im thinkin bout givin Ableton a try over Cubase 5...

I use both but find ableton better for making interesting sounds due to the simple resampling features.

I used Ableton for a couple of months, I really enjoyed It and loved the whole "live" feel of it all. I just found It much more focused on the performance aspects of making music and personally i think you defiantly need the apc with it. When I'm making house tunes tho I'll defiantly be using ableton for the creative process. but when It comes to drum and bass I like to sit down and do that way. So of course, i went back to Cubase, It's what I've used since school, I know my way around It, have my own tricks for doing things and work far faster with It than anything else and I'm sure your the same.

But dude, half an hour? should have given It a bit more than that! tis a ground breaking bit of kit!

If you grab Cubase 6 tho then you defiantly won't wanna be changing :P

Last edited:
i know my argument is totally invalid but i got ableton today, and, i have never produced a tune in my life, i tried today and failed, i hope this is of help, i have used cubase and failed on that too, i want it for live shit more than anything though...there is another fail in the pipeline.but a man has to start somewhere and it started today with failings...i am gonna get back on it tomo though...

just using Ableton 7 at the min, that will do the trick innit?

Last edited:
could someone post a good abelton for beginers video - or a video that really helped them out on here. I tried the FL demo and i think its only fair to try abelton before i make a decsion as to which one im going to spend the rest of my free time using..

cheers :)

Just pick the one you're most comfortable with, you see people switching DAW's because one is more time efficient for others. But in 95% of cases all of them can do the same tricks, it just might take a little longer.

IMO spending months to learn a DAW isn't worth it :rowley:

oh and Fresh uses ableton too

i know my argument is totally invalid but i got ableton today, and, i have never produced a tune in my life, i tried today and failed, i hope this is of help, i have used cubase and failed on that too, i want it for live shit more than anything though...there is another fail in the pipeline.but a man has to start somewhere and it started today with failings...i am gonna get back on it tomo though...

just using Ableton 7 at the min, that will do the trick innit?

Check Tom COSM's ableton tutorials on youtube for interesting live ideas, and yep, be prepared to fail over and over and over and over and over and over...u'l get it tho eventually

see i know a little about cubase but its the very basic knowledge, think i am going to get going on logic and have a mess with the live stuff off ableton....

i don't know if i should stick with cubase as i know a bit about it or not...but i hear good things bout logic n stuff so i am going to give it a whirl

i don't know if i should stick with cubase as i know a bit about it or not...but i hear good things bout logic n stuff so i am going to give it a whirl

sup to you bud. cubase and logic in my opinion are very very similar. i used to use logic at college after using cubase for a year prior, i liked all the plugins it came with standard, they all had a nice sound to them and the interface is really slick. only thing i didn't like was i found it a bit anal when it came to audio editing, since all my beats i do is in audio this was dam frustrating. both are great programs and very similar in the way they work and how things are layed out.

Thing is there`s no 64bit executeable of Ableton, which sucks hardtime when it comes down to memory management.
It`s a pain in the ass, its not professional and years too late. The whole community is troubling on their forums.
Of course some might say it only affects sample-based instruments, but whatta hell, cannot even closely rearrange some Orchester tracks, its f*in impossible
with only 4gb`s of ram. And don`t get me started on workarounds, they SUCK too.
Ableton itself is awesome for implementing into live sets, with tt`s or band.
Arranging is okay i guess, but i agree on it being toy-isch . The timestretching is bad, pitching sounds weird (compared to cdj 400, OMG)
and your mouse is moving ALOT, even if you know all shortcuts by heart, for sum there`s none!
A controller helps though, bought me a APK mini in that regard, its cheaaap^^

Another problem is the sound...i remember a guy studying to master tracks for the radio saying that compared to protools and cubase
you have to push Ableton Tracks way more to become satisfying. and i really do find that mastering in ableton is a must to get the sound "punchy".
Did not really compare though. Ableton is easily the best daw for beginners i think. Really easy compared to cubase, didnot get one sound out of it,
and gooooood i hate fl. the interface is a complete disaster, and they did not changed it in ten freakin years. tested it a long time ago, and really gave up on its interface.

Pro Tools is the most professional way to create your music, its standard reverb has to be awesome.
Too pricy though... :P

Be open minded with DAWs and don't pigeon hole yourself to just one. The DAW you're using shouldn't be the be all end all to your music production. Be flexible and challenge yourself.

Don't follow tutorials 100%. Spend most of your time playing with the software and developing your own techniques.

Back
Top Bottom