sit in the lab not releasing until everything is perfect?

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
Ez guys.

Do you think its a good idea to keep everything completely locked for a few months (maybe more) until I have 4-6 solid solid tunes that I feel are worthy of contacting some of the more established labels...

I think with enough work put into each tune (sometimes I get impatient and want to move onto the next one) I can get them up to standard... will be getting original vocals etc.. I have a few tunes due for release some time down the line and figured while I wait for those I may take this approach. Do you think there's any real benefit to this?
Thanks

Please don't push it. You can move to other projects when you run out of ideas, get refreshed by making more samples or breaks or whateva, then get back to the old projects. Implement, learn, go back and implement new ideas to old ones. That's how I do it. When lost interest, or run out of ideas, try synthetising or layering sounds. Make drum hits, hi-hat loops, shuffles etc.. And go back with new library to test if they benefit the tracks.

Isolation might be a good thing tho, I've lately been just switching the fucking internet off to get concentrated. Go and have a walk outside, comeback, listen and hear what to add. Experiment a lot with different techniques and effect chains, if they produce results, save the template. Make sounds and try the chain, filter chains, or other modulations like in the mixer, sidechaining, routing, layering, equing. I wish I'd had more templates or projects to browse through and experimenting cause I lost them. Samples are still there, but with no projects to put them in and layer or something it feels so useless.

Also, don't worry about mastering or mixing too much unless it's getting ready. When you feel like there's nothing to add, then start the mixing and mastering. That takes time and should you listen it as many pairs of speakers as possible.

So bottomline, don't push yourself if you run out of inspiration, just leave it and come back.

Ez guys.

Do you think its a good idea to keep everything completely locked for a few months (maybe more) until I have 4-6 solid solid tunes that I feel are worthy of contacting some of the more established labels...

I think with enough work put into each tune (sometimes I get impatient and want to move onto the next one) I can get them up to standard... will be getting original vocals etc.. I have a few tunes due for release some time down the line and figured while I wait for those I may take this approach. Do you think there's any real benefit to this?
Thanks

Definitely, yes.

Think if you are getting regular releases then this deffo applies, if you're still learning and trying to find your sound then not so much.

I know someone on Ram that literally only send stuff to Andy, not even their friends.. as in that case - No one else's opinion even matters lol!

I absolutely think it can be great practice to plow through and see tunes through to the finish. Just as long as you're managing expectations and not driving yourself slowly into madness.

Actually do drive slowly into madness, it'll probably make your tunes better. Just try and see the sun at least once every other week.

well i think generally the tunes i am putting out would get released if I were to send them to the appropriate labels, i sort of have my sound although alot of my tunes sound very different i know which direction I want to take them for now...

its more just keeping them completely locked and getting them sounding as good as i possibly can, rather than thinking that sounds decent, and being lazy on edits etc.

I'd rather have a few releases on an established label than lots on smaller labels :)

Back
Top Bottom