Scales progression: another boring question about theory

Discussion in 'Production' started by Shakelturn, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Shakelturn

Shakelturn New Member

Hi there,

I'm actually working on a F Harmonic scale and I wonder if it's possible to "jump" to another compatible scale ? Or should I (in theory) keep it ?

Melodies are great but lack of power, I'm literally falling asleep on my keyboard. I wonder if it's due to scale, chord progression, rythm or simple cause I have no talent :teeth:

Cheers

2. smoothassilk

smoothassilk Active Member

You can keep it. It is possible to jump to another scale, but for DnB, you shouldn't need to to keep it interesting. I don't think there should be any problem writing a melody entirely on F harmonic minor scale.

What are your chords? Uninteresting chords make crap melodies. Are you getting the melody to 'follow' the chords?

Shakelturn likes this.
  3. Shakelturn

Shakelturn New Member

My root is F and bass notes are F A# C E for intro F A# C G for main part, basically. I have some additionnal melodies for the intro (lead, key, timber, flute) and work on main part. Do you think it's because my bassline notes are 1 bar long so my sequencing variations lack of speed ?

4. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Are all of your bass notes intended to be the root of the chord? And yea if it's just 1 bar long it could seem a little boring, maybe turn on the glide and add a couple of short notes higher/or than the suspended note to get some pitch variation (the same could be accomplished with an automation envelope). I think we'd have to hear more specifics of the rhythmic arrangement to decide on chord variations.

Shakelturn likes this.
  5. Shakelturn

Shakelturn New Member

EZ I will post a WIP in few days. I fell this track is more orchestral / emotionnal and less dancefloor. Some producers come in mind: Amit, Klute, Commercial Suicide stuf IMO
    I should go in this direction without trying to push it to some wrong universe.