Rifine Beats & Bass 13 - Stray, Om Unit, Fracture, Machinedrum, Alix Perez - 100% vinyl

The Watcha

VIP Junglist

A fair few years ago now, @Vanden and I think @Terpit suggested that I should have a go at an all juke mix. So here it is, a special all juke episode of the Beat & Bass series, now that she's a teenager! Easily up there as one of the most challenging and fun episodes in the series to mix. Hope you enjoy it if you like a bit of this sort of music!

Tracklist:

Stray - Prof Popper (Exit Records)
Om Unit - Slowfast Matrix (Civil Music)
Fracture & Dawn Day Night - Get Down To The Funky Beat (Exit Records)
Synkro - Look At Yourself (Djrum rmx) (Mindset Records)
Stray - Akina (Modulations)
>> Pedestrian & Jasperdrum - Kalakuta (Alix Perez rmx) (2nd Drop) <<
Fracture & Neptune - Clissold (Machinedrum rmx) (Astrophonica)
Jubei - Say Nothin (Rockwell rmx) (Razors Edge)
Om Unit - Le Singe (Om Unit Edits)
Stray - LA Zoom (Exit Records)
>> Dominic Ridgway – Hydrocele (Alphacut) <<
Fracture - The Limit vip (Astrophonica)
Machinedrum - SeaSee (Ninja Tune)
Danny Scrilla - Fallout (Civil Music)
Fracture - Bad Habit (Om Unit rmx) (Astrophonica)
House Of Black Lanterns - You, Me, Metropolis (Houndstooth)
Chimpo – Bedsprings Riddim (Exit Records)
Moresounds - Riddim Again (Astrophonica)
Spinline - Sundays (Stray rmx) (Demand)
Dawn Day Night - Big Booty Girls (Astrophonica)
Indigo - The Root (Exit Records)
Die - 1000 Soul Songs (Addison Groove rmx) (Gutterfunk)
Stray & Fracture - Bounce That (Exit Records)
Subtension – Midnight Flush (Invisible)
Mako & Detail - Tell Me Something (MethXX)
Alix Perez, Rashad & Spin - Make It Worth It (Exit Records)
>> Addison Groove & Die – 167 Blast (50 Weapons) <<

alternative download link -> https://dnbshare.com/download/Rifine_-_Beats_n_Bass_13.mp3.html

Yes I do have some thoughts

First tune that really grabbed me was Synkro - Look At Yourself (Djrum rmx) (Mindset Records)

Going to be truthfully honest – not a huge fan of Ginseng Smash/Akina – I did think that Akina sat really well over Look At Yourself Remix – keyed to perfection. When you left Akina on its own I almost turned off though – tune just annoys me!

The split mix with the Alix Perez remix was nice to break up Akina

Can hear Clissold remix creeping in – yea not bad!

Felt it was a little cluttered as Say Nothin remix was coming in, seemed to work ok when you switched the bass but just felt a lot was going on. You still got your Xone 42? Are you using the filter to mix tunes or just EQ’s?

OHHHHHH Le Singe!!!!! Was literally having a conversation with my mate about Om Unit the other day and he had never heard of this tune before. Absolute belter.

For me this tune could be played on repeat, unmixed.

Just had a wee look through the tracklist and can see a few tasty riddims are incoming!

Love the change up of the second breakdown of Le Singe hahaha literally my jam.

La Zoom coming in – yea ok. Again I love Le Singe as a standalone I would find it hard to compliment it well in the mix.

Hydrocele coming in --- Liking the rolling drum over the top of La Zoom. Not bad little split there – mix is progressing nicely so far.

Limit VIP has come in and not bad. This tune always reminds me of Clissold Remix that waining kind of noise. The kicks in this tune absolute bang.

Didn’t really notice the transition through to SeaSee. Can hear the kick of fallout creeping in. Yea ok did feel a little muddled in the mix. This tune again for me sounds quality on its own.

OK Bad Habit remix – can hear it building in. Not bad at all probably my favourite mix so far!

Not heard the next tune – now we are rocking. Keyed well solid mix.

Next 3 tunes just flowed pretty smoothly. Riddim Again is funky!

Sundays remix – pretty good! Feel like we are proper rolling now.

Big Booty Girls is incoming! Felt like the gains are a little off…not bad though pal

OK the root next – rolling drum came over the top quite of BBG’s. Pretty good transition!

Can hear the vocal of 1000 soul songs poking in. And yea not bad again felt the roots drums are sitting pretty well over the top man.

Bounce That is now in the mix. Felt like this was EQ’d better than some of the previous mixes.

Didn’t even hear Midnight Flush come in. Not bad again. Loving the mad stabs

Tell Me Something is just an awesome track. Generally dig of all Mako’s productions

Make it Worth It’s Vocal tipping into the mix. Yea nice blend. A lot of the mixes towards the end have been super solid. Interesting little split at the end that breaks up the beat of Make It Worth It and seems almost bouncy.

Digged this matey. Juke isn't for everyone but think you have done it justice here selection wise.

Slight critique I feel like I need more cuts/breaks. Use the crossfader to create some impact on the points where you are switching into tunes and it creates that impact when you switch the bass for example. Just feel sometimes the tunes are muddled together and it makes the blend less interesting.

Great to see you still banging the 100% vinyl tag.

Big ups Mark

Yes I do have some thoughts

First tune that really grabbed me was Synkro - Look At Yourself (Djrum rmx) (Mindset Records)
Yeah I really like that tune, really warming and different – unique like you’d expect from Djrum
Going to be truthfully honest – not a huge fan of Ginseng Smash/Akina – I did think that Akina sat really well over Look At Yourself Remix – keyed to perfection. When you left Akina on its own I almost turned off though – tune just annoys me!

I can see that Akina could annoy some. The repeated vocal might not be everyone’s cuppa

The split mix with the Alix Perez remix was nice to break up Akina
Thanks man! Try to include few teases in mixes of late
Can hear Clissold remix creeping in – yea not bad!

Felt it was a little cluttered as Say Nothin remix was coming in, seemed to work ok when you switched the bass but just felt a lot was going on. You still got your Xone 42? Are you using the filter to mix tunes or just EQ’s?
Yeah there was a lot going on but I didn’t think it was too cluttered. Still on my Xone 42 and good memory! Just the EQ’s still as I find the filters fun to play around with, but haven’t found how to fully utilise them and still not confident putting them in a recording.

OHHHHHH Le Singe!!!!! Was literally having a conversation with my mate about Om Unit the other day and he had never heard of this tune before. Absolute belter.

For me this tune could be played on repeat, unmixed.
Le Singe for me is one of Om Units best tunes. Stunning quality!

Just had a wee look through the tracklist and can see a few tasty riddims are incoming!

Love the change up of the second breakdown of Le Singe hahaha literally my jam.

La Zoom coming in – yea ok. Again I love Le Singe as a standalone I would find it hard to compliment it well in the mix.

Hydrocele coming in --- Liking the rolling drum over the top of La Zoom. Not bad little split there – mix is progressing nicely so far.
Thanks man! I gave some of the teases a fair bit of thought, like where they’d sit best in the mix
Limit VIP has come in and not bad. This tune always reminds me of Clissold Remix that waining kind of noise. The kicks in this tune absolute bang.

Didn’t really notice the transition through to SeaSee. Can hear the kick of fallout creeping in. Yea ok did feel a little muddled in the mix. This tune again for me sounds quality on its own.
Always complimentary when someone doesn’t notice one tune has come in! :)
OK Bad Habit remix – can hear it building in. Not bad at all probably my favourite mix so far!

Not heard the next tune – now we are rocking. Keyed well solid mix.
Thanks mate!
Next 3 tunes just flowed pretty smoothly. Riddim Again is funky!
Really like Riddim Again too. Gets properly stuck in there!
Sundays remix – pretty good! Feel like we are proper rolling now.

Big Booty Girls is incoming! Felt like the gains are a little off…not bad though pal
Yeah BBG does sit back a little in there. Still felt like it worked but could have been more prominent

OK the root next – rolling drum came over the top quite of BBG’s. Pretty good transition!

Can hear the vocal of 1000 soul songs poking in. And yea not bad again felt the roots drums are sitting pretty well over the top man.

Bounce That is now in the mix. Felt like this was EQ’d better than some of the previous mixes.
Thanks man. Yeah I love that tune and felt it went well with 1000 Soul Song
Didn’t even hear Midnight Flush come in. Not bad again. Loving the mad stabs
Again very complimentary saying you didn’t hear Midnight Flush come in. I think that might be a fav blend of mine in there as the Bounce That and Midnight Flush talk to one another and was something that just worked off the cuff

Tell Me Something is just an awesome track. Generally dig of all Mako’s productions

Make it Worth It’s Vocal tipping into the mix. Yea nice blend. A lot of the mixes towards the end have been super solid. Interesting little split at the end that breaks up the beat of Make It Worth It and seems almost bouncy.

Digged this matey. Juke isn't for everyone but think you have done it justice here selection wise.
Thanks for the compliments again Stu!

Slight critique I feel like I need more cuts/breaks. Use the crossfader to create some impact on the points where you are switching into tunes and it creates that impact when you switch the bass for example. Just feel sometimes the tunes are muddled together and it makes the blend less interesting.

I went way off using the crossfader ages ago to be honest. A friend swayed me into mixing with the volume controls and have been doing so since. Do you mean when you switch to the tune after the mix it creates impact? Rather than easing a tune in completely, for more of a punch. Agree on some of the blends sounding particularly warm if you’re really listening out for it, but it doesn’t stand out like a sore thumb in this mix. I also find it hard to gauge some of the EQ’s if I’ve not tried a blend before, so ease everything down between a 6th or and 8th before so it doesn’t sound overpowering when you bring it in and tweak the other EQ’s from there.

Great to see you still banging the 100% vinyl tag.
Got to keep that going you know man! :)

Big ups Mark

Thanks for taking the time to write some detailed feedback Stu! No one really does so much anymore. Plus thanks for the kind words and the words of wisdom towards the end. Added some words in blue too
I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the impact, but its something I can work on, if you can give me a few more words on it?

Anyway, much appreciated on the review! :) Glad you thought I had done juke the justice it deserves as thats what I was aiming for
Couple more coming from me by the end of the year. 1 of them will definitely be up your street ;)

@Vydx & @beknoxx maybe you'd like a slice of juke?

Thanks for taking the time to write some detailed feedback Stu! No one really does so much anymore. Plus thanks for the kind words and the words of wisdom towards the end. Added some words in blue too
I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the impact, but its something I can work on, if you can give me a few more words on it?

Anyway, much appreciated on the review! :) Glad you thought I had done juke the justice it deserves as thats what I was aiming for
Couple more coming from me by the end of the year. 1 of them will definitely be up your street ;)

@Vydx & @beknoxx maybe you'd like a slice of juke?

I was going to explain this using clips but I will try to explain what I was getting at.
Record A currently playing
You are bringing in Record B to say double with Record A.
As both records are building up to that "drop" whereby you would switch the basses and EQ for a smooth transition just before these drop together Record B may have a small break or gap or impasse that would mean you could take Record A out, briefly albeit, so it creates impact, then as soon as they drop bring it back in using the crossfader or upfader, obviously with bass switched and eq'd.

For me as a listener this creates impact, and generates cleaner transitions. Without that impact I do feel listening to lots of mixes, not just this one, transitions become muddled and lost.

And no problem about the feedback! Happy to lend an ear where possible.

I've been fucking around with not sure you remember the Sub:Modical mix I said I would do years ago. You'll be glad to know its been revived and i'm going to finish it. Ears peeled ;)

I was going to explain this using clips but I will try to explain what I was getting at.
Record A currently playing
You are bringing in Record B to say double with Record A.
As both records are building up to that "drop" whereby you would switch the basses and EQ for a smooth transition just before these drop together Record B may have a small break or gap or impasse that would mean you could take Record A out, briefly albeit, so it creates impact, then as soon as they drop bring it back in using the crossfader or upfader, obviously with bass switched and eq'd.

For me as a listener this creates impact, and generates cleaner transitions. Without that impact I do feel listening to lots of mixes, not just this one, transitions become muddled and lost.

And no problem about the feedback! Happy to lend an ear where possible.

I've been fucking around with not sure you remember the Sub:Modical mix I said I would do years ago. You'll be glad to know its been revived and i'm going to finish it. Ears peeled ;)

Thanks for explaining Stu! :) I think I get what you mean. Will try and have a tinker around with it when I can fully get my head back in mixing.

I do, but can't remember the abbreviation labels that came from..... Subtitles Modulations & (can't remember the last one) ?

Thanks for explaining Stu! :) I think I get what you mean. Will try and have a tinker around with it when I can fully get my head back in mixing.

I do, but can't remember the abbreviation labels that came from..... Subtitles Modulations & (can't remember the last one) ?

Subtitles
Modulations
Critical

And looking forward to your next mix man!

Back
Top Bottom