Remixing tunes...

westy70

Hi there people budding producer here getting there on learning to make my own stuff, forgive me if this is a silly question but new to this side of production and thought here is the best place to ask, how do you go about remixing other peoples tunes? vocals etc etc, and do you just resamples thier riffs and keys.....again sorry if a stupid question once i know i know! thanks in advance....

i think its a good question. i like to reimagine the song with things i would like to hear. then try and build it. i usually end up going with what sounds good.

Hi there people budding producer here getting there on learning to make my own stuff, forgive me if this is a silly question but new to this side of production and thought here is the best place to ask, how do you go about remixing other peoples tunes? vocals etc etc, and do you just resamples thier riffs and keys.....again sorry if a stupid question once i know i know! thanks in advance....
no bullshit i will ONLY remix a song i've never heard that way my version is not influenced and is legit an original interpretation... otherwise i tend to get the original melodies and shit stuck in my head and it causes a problem,...

If there is a specific song you want to remix then you could approach the producer and ask for the stems but this isn't likely to be successful unless you have a rep or the song is relatively unknown.

If there is a instrumental version of the song as well as the vocal version, you buy lossless copies and then load the instrumental and the version with vocals into your DAW and if you start them at the same time and then invert the phase of one and you can normally isolate the vocals but results vary and usually it sounds rubbish. If you do a search for acapellas you can find plenty of 'DIY acapellas' other people have done to give you an idea of how they can sound. You might also find a leaked studio acapella.

If there is no instrumental/acapella you might be able to layer parts of the song that don't have vocals under the vocal parts and phase cancel but the waveforms need to be identical.

Otherwise, like you said, you just have to chop the song up to get as many clean samples as possible. You could try and recreate some of the samples if you can't get clean ones but this is difficult to keep the original vibe. There is a Nu:Tone Future Music tutorial about this on youtube.

In the past I've received the stems for the tracks (vocals, etc) as I was given the job of remixing. The one exception was once where I literally extracted the vocals from the entire track. It's definitely not ideal. Otherwise try finding an acapella version that contains vocals etc.

I think coming up with a creative concept then recreating everything from scratch is the best way. It's often difficult and incredibly time consuming but it's the best way imo.

One time serum remixed a mate of mines tune. He recreated everything with such ease it was incredible, the only thing he didn't nail was a björk sample. That was a good song.

Back
Top Bottom