Rate 1992's DNB DMX Light Show

Novantadue
VIP Junglist
Once again, I'm about to make the mistake of waring my heart on my sleeve on an internet message board. I got sick of my modell kirmes some time ago so my fun money has been going to buying new lights for my entertainment center. Previously I only had those really lame "spin & puke" motorized effects on relay packs which I actually used at "real" raves. Now I finally have proper mirror scanners, par cans on a dimmer pack, and a beginner (cheap) DMX board.

Here are some .MOV files of my "Jungle Room" from this past Xmas.

Blues Chase
A smoothed out movement chase w/ blue gobos. For those times when LTJ Bukem comes over to rinse out my wack Radio Shack speakers.

Color Chase
A smoothed out movement chase w/ chasing colors. This is very simple and basic but its nice for those Happy Hardcore moments. Slowing down the effect wheel makes for a trippy look as well.

Dylan Drazen Chase
For those times when I'm listening to a Dylan Drazen hard techno mp3 set. This is a typical look that you would find in a club that features hard techno. I first saw a look like this at a Return to the Source, Goa Trance party at the Roseland Ballroom. The one featured there was more simple yet it looked like falling ninja swords from the ceiling, it was beautiful. This version here is more random.

Green Fade Chase
*Broken link fixed* A smooth chase with dimmer action and green gobos. Its not very exciting, I deleted it soon after I shot this video file.

Halo Chase
This is based on the same chase, as "Green Fade". When I went over to my neighbors house for Xmas, I showed them these files while taking photos of them. One of the neighbors said this one reminded her of Halo. At the time I had not played the original Halo but now that I have, I can see what she means. It does slightly resemble the Covenant ship in Halo. The hallways in that ship are exactly the same color as this chase.

Industrial Chase
For those times when I'm listening to Front 242 or.....*gasp* some techstep from No-U-Turn. This chase was really boring for me.... It was beleted soon after. Not only that but when running this chase at the fastest speed, the mirrors loose their home position.

Strobe_Chase.mov
*broken link fixed* For those Amen Rinse Out times.....

Strobe Chase 2
The same as Strobe Chase 1 but from a different angle.

I got sick of this set up so I re-arranged all the lights the other day. Now everything is on a 5 ft truss by the window and the MB is the centerpiece on the truss instead of on the ceiling. I can now get a nice "moonflower" style effect by having two scanners really close to the mirror ball. My new 8 Par-38 cans w/ Leviton 4ch DMX dimmer pack are not shown in these video files as I got those in March.

When I get a proper job after graduating I'm saving up for HES Studio Spots or Technobeams and a Whole Hog 3 board...... after buying a new car and having a house that is.

N-JOI! :cool:

Last edited:
impressive stuff mang,

im currently in the process of coding a bit of DMX512 software to run my light show, still basic and nothing like what your running atm but im getting there slowly but surely. aiming to get a bit of custom software to run chases and scenes on some basic non motorised lights and trigger two motorised indepedendant moon flower thangs.

Cool Oli! Thats quite adventurous of you! If you ever get sick of doing that (but don't keep at it), theres Martin Light Jocky and Das Light which are suppose to be decent PC programs for running moving lights.

What your doing shouldn't be too hard in theory though. I personally would tackle even that as my computer programing / math skills are rather weak. I've only taken intro to C++ and Visual Basic in school. Visual Basic was quite a challange to say the least. As a joke for myself in that class I made my screen flash through 4 different colors faster then the refresh rate on the monitor... Thats as close as I'll get to programing my own lightshow program.

yer have seen a few decent bits of software on the market but all require a rather expensive dongle to convert USB to DMX, i managed to pick up a cheap DMX controller than links in via serial port. THe software is really easy to code when u understand the signal u have to send to the light. This way u get complete customized control of ur lanterns. downside is ur software is just for ur setup. difficult to change between rigs.

Oli said:
yer have seen a few decent bits of software on the market but all require a rather expensive dongle to convert USB to DMX, i managed to pick up a cheap DMX controller than links in via serial port. THe software is really easy to code when u understand the signal u have to send to the light. This way u get complete customized control of ur lanterns. downside is ur software is just for ur setup. difficult to change between rigs.

Thats extremely cool even if it is just for your own stuff. Thats above and beyond what I'd be able to do. I wouldn't mind seeing photos and or videos of your set up either now or when your done. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom