production bible part2

DNBusa

PROOF IS N THE PRODUCTION
a while ago i put a post up of a production bible part 1 and the response was vary nice and most people were great-full for it .. what you need to know with out this info you should not produce music what i share with dnbforum users is because i feel every one should know . a friend of mine DAN C is on his way to the top of the production world with time you all will know about him so lets give thanks to him and his music and show respect to all music lovers and makers

so i will re-post this part one of the dnb bible this was given to me after i started maken a mark for my self in production an djing in the south west USA much love to ya DAN C and to all of the people who bang our tunes BIG UPS TO ALL OF YOU

check us out on the space myspace.com/sickorwell and dans space myspace.com/xdjdanc

and pruvenmusic.com

with out further a due i give you the truth

This is the most important part of producing... without this information youre better off not producing. I dont know what you know but this is very helpfull chart to use. There are many out there and there is no such thing as only one way to eq you just have to feel it out. Follow these guidelines and youre beats n bass will sound better. Also remember not to boost to much and always cut out 50-0 on youre kick drums eq... that room is for the bassline. Also on say a snare cut out anything less than 100 hz this keeps room again for other stuff, whatever frequencies youre not using always cut them out. Hope this helps you. If you need anything else hit me up here. Or have any questions. I held myself back for years not knowing this information. Just make sure n eq all youre instruments for a much cleaner sound. Also i can give you sample packs of shit. Ez

PART I – Instruments and EQ

Kick Drum

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300 Hz. Try a small boost around 5-7 kHz to add some high end.

60-100 Hz ~ Adds bottom to the sound
100-250 Hz ~ Adds fullness
250-800 Hz ~ Muddiness area
2.5 kHz ~ Slap attack
5-8 kHz ~ Adds high end presence
8-12 kHz ~ Adds hiss and rattle

Snare

Try a small boost around 60-120 Hz if the sound is a little too wimpy. Try boosting around 6 kHz for that 'snappy' sound. Snares are often the driving force of dnb and they take on so many forms that it really comes down to "time spent" here. Experimentation is the key... but here are general guidelines:

220-260 Hz ~ Fatness
5 kHz ~ Crispness
6-8 kHz ~ Adds presence

Hi hats or cymbals

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300 Hz. To add some brightness try a small boost around 3 kHz.

200Hz ~ Clank or gong sound
1-6 kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8 kHz ~ Adds shimmer and clarity
8-12 kHz ~ Adds brightness

Rack Toms

240 Hz ~ Fullness
5 kHz ~ Crack / smack attack

Floor Toms

80-120 Hz ~ Fullness
5 kHz ~ Crack / smack attack

Bass Guitar

Try boosting around 60 Hz to add more body. Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300 Hz. If more presence is needed, boost around 6 kHz. Most of this will apply to any bassline.

50-100 Hz ~ Adds bottom end
100-250 Hz ~ Adds fullness
250-700 Hz ~ Muddiness Area
700-1000 Hz ~ Pluck sound
2.5 kHz ~ String noise / pop
3-6 kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8 kHz ~ Adds high-end presence
8-12 kHz ~ Adds hiss

Vocals

This is a difficult one, as it depends on the mic used to record the vocal. However...Apply either cut or boost around 300 Hz, depending on the mic and song. Apply a very small boost around 6 kHz to add some clarity.

100-250 Hz ~ Adds 'up-frontness' / boom
2-6 kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8 kHz ~ Adds sibilance and clarity

Piano

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300 Hz. Apply a very small boost around 6 kHz to add some clarity.

80-120 Hz ~ Adds bottom
120-250 Hz ~ Adds body
250-1 kHz ~ Muddiness area
2.5-5 kHz ~ Adds presence
6-8 kHz ~ Adds clarity
10 kHz ~ Crisp attack
12-14 kHz ~ Adds hiss

Electric guitars

Again this depends on the mix and the recording. Apply either cut or boost around 300 Hz, depending on the song and sound. Try boosting around 3 kHz to add some edge to the sound, or cut to add some transparency. Try boosting around 6 kHz to add presence. Try boosting around 10 kHz to add brightness.

200-250 Hz ~ Adds fullness
2.5 kHz ~ Adds bite
5-8 kHz ~ Adds clarity
8-12 kHz ~ Adds hiss

Acoustic guitar

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off between 100-300 Hz. Apply small amounts of cut around 1-3 kHz to push the image higher. Apply small amounts of boost around 5 kHz to add some presence.

80-120 Hz ~ Bottom end
120-250 Hz ~ Adds body
2.5-5 kHz ~ Adds clarity

Horns

There are many types of horns and EQ will affect each in drastically different ways. Here’s a few common EQ affects for most types of horns.

120-240 Hz ~ Fullness
5-7.5 kHz ~ Shrillness

Strings

These depend entirely on the mix and the sound used.

50-100 Hz ~ Adds bottom end
250 Hz ~ Adds fullness
1-6 kHz ~ Sounds crunchy
7.5-10 kHz ~ Scratchiness
11-14 kHz ~ Adds brightness

PART II – Frequencies and Domains

50 Hz

1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on bass lines in Rap and R&B.

100 Hz

1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments.
2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare.
3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns.
4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity.

200 Hz

1. Increase to add fullness to vocals.
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar (harder sound).
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals.

400 Hz

1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms).
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals.

800 Hz

1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars

1.5 kHz

1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars.

3 kHz

1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom