Production Advice

Ozzwills

Basically, I've just started trying to produce some dnb, very basically just on fruity loops. Does anyone have any advice on how to actually make neurofunk sounds? On FL so far I've just used the plugin things and messed around with them. Also, does anyone know how to stop a note from a pattern playing after the pattern has stopped? Like sometimes you have a really long note, but you want it to stop when the pattern stops but instead it continues onto the next pattern.

Hopefully some of that made sense, I'd really appreciate any other advice too :)

Cheers everyone bigups

Although it's not actually part of FL Studio itself, a great piece of software that I've been using recently as a virutual instrument for my own workstation is Serum and it's like it was designed for this, plus the audio is very analogue sounding with excellent filters and possibilities. One to keep an eye out for in the future possibly. Might be worth hunting down some neuro samples and general DnB samples to cut up and play about with too, so you have a sound there but learn to take these things beyond what you get given.

What I love about DnB is how flexible it is as a genre and how diverse it can be. Another tip I'd add is to pick up some sort of recording device and start recording things around you from time to time. It's a very good thing for when you want to start adding organic sounds into the mix, and you aren't restricted to a fixed length, but rather to however long you record the sound. A friend I produce with was with me working on a track and out of nowhere his (eccentric) mother barges into his room with a giant rain stick. We then spent the next 20 minutes recording it in the bathroom and whacked it in the track.

Although it's not actually part of FL Studio itself, a great piece of software that I've been using recently as a virutual instrument for my own workstation is Serum and it's like it was designed for this, plus the audio is very analogue sounding with excellent filters and possibilities. One to keep an eye out for in the future possibly. Might be worth hunting down some neuro samples and general DnB samples to cut up and play about with too, so you have a sound there but learn to take these things beyond what you get given.

What I love about DnB is how flexible it is as a genre and how diverse it can be. Another tip I'd add is to pick up some sort of recording device and start recording things around you from time to time. It's a very good thing for when you want to start adding organic sounds into the mix, and you aren't restricted to a fixed length, but rather to however long you record the sound. A friend I produce with was with me working on a track and out of nowhere his (eccentric) mother barges into his room with a giant rain stick. We then spent the next 20 minutes recording it in the bathroom and whacked it in the track.

Safe mate :) any advice on where to get neuro/dnb samples? Also should I be producing in 86/87/88/89bpm or 172/174 etc. bpm?

Well a lot of the one's I've been using over the last couple of years stem from the same guy I work with on production, although I think he has got packs from a thing to do with production he's signed up to. It's like something that offers samples and video tutorials and there's a lot of DnB focus around it. Someone on here might know what I'm on about but I'll have to ask James the guy I know. Some of the packs I have are from Loopmasters as well who release lots of high end quality packs.

Back
Top Bottom