My latest track: "I Missed Me"

Charlie Van Pelt

Charles N. Charge
Good evening.

Some of you might remember me from when I used to post more often at this site. I used to produce about 1.5 years ago, but then I took a hiatus. However, thanks to a bit of a financial windfall, I was able to buy a new computer and FL Studio 5, along with PSP Vintage Warmer.

In other words, it's on again.

charlievanpelt+imissedme2.jpg
I Missed Me (tech step)
Download (Vitaminic) | RealPlayer Stream (Vitaminic)
Download/Stream (MP3.Com.Au)
Download (HipTingle)
Bitrate: 128 (download)
Length: 7:13

The Vitaminic links are direct; the MP3.Com.Au and HipTingle ones take you to a page where you can get the MP3. Constructive feedback is welcome and appreciated.

I hope I haven't forgotten too much about d 'n b production. :D

Last edited:
hey charlie, hows it going its step-sequence from dnbscene forum, seems weird me reviewing one of your own tracks since you're the reviewer usually! :D

I loved this track and one thing it shows is a good deal of knowledge in terms of structure and generally, in short the simple blend of elements which make a track not necessarily by layering tons of unrelated sounds together but rather using sounds economically and fittingly. Big up the old guard!!

The beat and the sub, the snare sits decently in the mix, quite snappy and short, kick is punchy and present enough in the mix also. I like the subtle switches in the rinse (3:16) playing with the bottle/synth type sound (some airy thing) and the gated trance thing going on underneath. Changes in the repeat are wicked, nice interlocking between the bass and the drums in the second half. Drop sounds good to me, understated no big sweeps, bangs or boom, this is the best type of drop IMO because you have a long silence which makes the good bits stand out.

Sweeps, synths and other stuff sounds fine, also in terms of EQ'ing and sound separation it all sounds very crisp: everything seems to sit where you want it to.

Overall, I reckon you came back strongly, baring in mind I haven't checked your previous stuff but this sounds fine here, despite maybe being not loud enough as a final cut. The mix is fine though.

:)

Herbal Monk said:
hey charlie, hows it going its step-sequence from dnbscene forum, seems weird me reviewing one of your own tracks since you're the reviewer usually! :D
What's up, matey? I need to fire up that reviewing machine again and I will in due time. As you've probably figured out, producing is where my head's at right now...I mean, I've only sacrificed it for 1.5 years, so reuniting with it is pure joy.

Anyway...

Herbal Monk said:
I loved this track and one thing it shows is a good deal of knowledge in terms of structure and generally, in short the simple blend of elements which make a track not necessarily by layering tons of unrelated sounds together but rather using sounds economically and fittingly. Big up the old guard!!
We have hipnotic to thank for that. He gave me the following piece of advice when he was reviewing one of my older tracks and I've pretty much ran with it ever since.

hipnotic said:
- noises, noises. techno tim ("Exile" to the Moving Shadow record-buying public) once told me that if you use more than 12-16 channels for dnb, start worrying. at the time i thought he was on crack. guess how many channels "death of princes" has? about 16. yup, he was more than right.
Next thing...

Herbal Monk said:
Overall, I reckon you came back strongly, baring in mind I haven't checked your previous stuff but this sounds fine here, despite maybe being not loud enough as a final cut.
Yeah, that's okay. This time around, I can legally get my hands on the tools I'll need to measure up to the big boys (stuff like Sound Forge, Z3ta+, and PSP Vintage Warmer), unlike last time.

Thanks a lot for the review, sir. :respekt:

thanks to you mate. The only reason I cant think of for having that number of tracks is decent separation? But im definitely keepin that in mind...

Back
Top Bottom