My First Attempt

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by djdiztorsion, Mar 25, 2007.

1. djdiztorsion

djdiztorsion New Member

Hi Guys,

This is the first time I have ever attempted a DnB Track, so please be gentle with me

I have chopped it from just before the start of the first breakdown, to where I anticipate the 2nd breakdown to be...... so I suppose it is a "work in progress"!!!

It hasnt even got a name, and I couldnt tell you what sort of DnB it is, just that it isnt floaty :spliff:

anyhoo..... here is a link;

http://www.ykts.co.uk/1stattemptcut.mp3

all feedback is appreciated :rockposse

2. M. Progression

M. Progression Member

I think the beat is pretty phat, nice beatz. Do you listen to a lot of dnb? The melody is a little monotonous, but non the less it's your first attempt. I think there is a lot of potential, my advice is just to listen to more of the tracks on here and start to build a foundation for synth, dubs and samples. Other than that I think you are definitely on the right track. Good luck with it.

3. djdiztorsion

djdiztorsion New Member

thanks very much for taking the time to comment :gslayer:

I am actually just coming over from years playing Hard Techno and Schranz (which I do still DJ) so I suppose the monotonous sound must come from that..... I have never been brilliant at writing melodies, but I guess it is something I must learn if I want to get good at the DnB side of things :mr_cool:

thanks once again :)

4. annias

annias New Member

In the raw form you have some good working elements. The mastering and general engineering could use some love but that's all good I can look past it.

You could definitely use differentiation or some kind of dynamic in the breaks as the song progresses, although you definitely latched on to a nice offbeat inside kind of groove from the get go!

The very quick moving pluck like sounds that come in at 1:12 instantly remind me of one of my favorite Hive songs, Technical Itch - Stack (Hive Remix). Almost thought you ripped it maybe lol but yeah nice ideas.

Good luck, and definitely hook up one some parametric eqing, maybe a little compression to get all the work you are doing to make the music also sound nice.

Peace,

5. djdiztorsion

djdiztorsion New Member

again, thanks very much for the feedback, and Ill post up when I have had a play around with it ;)

6. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

seconded, i like the beat too. it sounds like techstep to me.
    i think there is too much release on the envelope (or is that a delay maybe) on the high background synth. the one that sounds like an engine sound. anyway i agree the synth melody would do well with some filter edits, some other stabs here and there and some melodic variations. but for a first attempt this is very good.