monitoring

dar kist

KYRO
VIP Junglist
so i had some monies back in the uk but had to leave them there:twisted: that was over a year ago, so for the past year i have been mixing on very nice sennheiser cans, and having some nice mix downs as ive had them for 3 years. now i have got some new monitors, my tunes are sounding mean as fuck while in logic, but if i turn the Moines off and have a listen thru my headphones (still in logic) the mix is very quiet, which i thought would be easy to fix, but if i crank it up or add a limiter it starts to low key distort and the kick in snare sound a bit tinny, the only thing that is different now is all my individual tracks are now well below 0db and master is about -2db which i thought was about right, as with my head phone it used to be 6db, any thoughts on my ramble as to what to look into?? or will it just take some time to figure out the new speakers

peace

Dont worry to much about getting it really loud at the mixdown stage, a nice clean balanced mix that averages even as low as say, -6db is much more useful than one averaging at 0db and sounding crowded and pushed, as you can process it more once its bounced to a stereo file.

Keeping seperate tracks down a bit will give you lots more headroom, so keeping them down to somewhere around -6 to -10db will leave you with a lot more to play with. Another thing is to make sure your master faders always set to 0db. The trouble with having each track hitting around 0db, is when you bring it up to a sensible volume, its taking up nearly all the space you've got, so its then a fight to get it all balanced, and you end up turning it down and down, and the mix gets crowded very easily.

thanks man, i must be on the right track then, all my tracks sit at -10 and lower, sept maybe kick and snare just a touch, i might bounce it down and have a play with it in the mastering stage of things

Back
Top Bottom