Mixing Tracks w/Higher BPM?

Hutt

Still new to mixing as you'll gather from this post.

Just wondering how you'd go about mixing tracks with different BPM's.

For example,

Enei - Runnin is somewhere around 130
dBridge - True Romance is also 130

Most other tunes are 87.5 or round about.

I've heard that some software can give you the wrong BPM for the track, so I guess it could be this. But I am pretty stuck, I'm avoiding using tunes I want to just because their BPM is higher.

I'm only using mix track so I'm limited to how I can mix, I don't have have tempo sliders I'm having to adjust the BPM to the same using the software instead of the controller, then use the jog wheel - so even beatmatching tracks with similar BPM is a chore.

Safe

Still new to mixing as you'll gather from this post.

Just wondering how you'd go about mixing tracks with different BPM's.

For example,

Enei - Runnin is somewhere around 130
dBridge - True Romance is also 130

Most other tunes are 87.5 or round about.

I've heard that some software can give you the wrong BPM for the track, so I guess it could be this. But I am pretty stuck, I'm avoiding using tunes I want to just because their BPM is higher.

I'm only using mix track so I'm limited to how I can mix, I don't have have tempo sliders I'm having to adjust the BPM to the same using the software instead of the controller, then use the jog wheel - so even beatmatching tracks with similar BPM is a chore.

Safe

yeah mate can tell you now that true romance and enei running are not 130, think they are 170 - 172 (not too sure got both tunes but mix vinyl), would definitely recommend a set up where you can ride the pitch when you get the chance because you won't need to look at dodgy shit like this just do it by ear (BPM counters are shit, anything out of the ordinary fucks it)

I run into this issue with Traktor and started using ableton which is a whore new can of worms. Going back to traktor though and since i like multigenre im wondering how to overcome aswell. Vinyl is out of the question due to money restraints.

Last edited:
I run into this issue with Traktor and started using ableton which is a while new can of worms. Going back to traktor though and since i like multigenre im wondering how to overcome aswell. Vinyl is out of the question due to money restraints.

get a controller you can ride the pitch on but still beat match using your ears not the numbers on the screen, you can get controllers with pitch capabilities for quite cheap these days, like this

https://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-party-mix-dj-controller-b-stock.html

njot a clue how good it is, could be shit, but it looks like it has a pitch ting on it that should hopefully work haha

I run into this issue with Traktor and started using ableton which is a whore new can of worms. Going back to traktor though and since i like multigenre im wondering how to overcome aswell. Vinyl is out of the question due to money restraints.
Same situation here, wish I had the funds

Mix by ear rather than by taking a bpm estimate from a screen that could be well innacurate.
Chances are the two tunes I'm mixing won't have the same BPM & am I right in thinking that to beat match the tunes need the same BPM. This means at least one of the BPM counters must be adjusted to beat match. Mentioned in the OP I don't have a pitch slider with my set up, so I'm not really sure what you mean?

What I'm getting at here, is I need to use the BPM counter, if I am right in thinking that what you're suggesting requires you to adjust a pitch slider to bring the tunes in sync using your ears (not literally lol)

I think the answer here is to avoid trying to mix tunes where the BPM counter is wrong, until I invest in a better set up - which will unfortunately be quite some time. It's pretty boring though literally matching BPM's and spinning the jog wheel until it's synced.

Last edited:
that mixer i bought... erm...

Well i wouldnt buy it tbh. Its a bit small and i cant get it to work in Traktor.

Fair play for the money involved though and works perfectly in virtual dj LE if thats all you need.

http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipment/cd-mp3-players/pioneer-cdj1000-mk3-cd-player-pair-id404-.htm

@SteveR94 @Dannyboy93 @Dark Lizardro @ anyone

What would needed to be purchased on top?

Am I correct in thinking I could set these up without the need for a laptop.

Would I be able to use a memory stick to load my tracks up?

Sorry, I imagine this is pretty basic stuff, I'm just having trouble getting my head around which set-up allows what.

EDIT: Just want a set up with all the essentials, no laptop required, with a USB slot for my music. Any links for set-ups that will do the following below £500 or £500+ with an option for finance, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/dj-equipment/cd-mp3-players/pioneer-cdj1000-mk3-cd-player-pair-id404-.htm

@SteveR94 @Dannyboy93 @Dark Lizardro @ anyone

What would needed to be purchased on top?

Am I correct in thinking I could set these up without the need for a laptop.

Would I be able to use a memory stick to load my tracks up?

Sorry, I imagine this is pretty basic stuff, I'm just having trouble getting my head around which set-up allows what.

Thanks in advance

Not too good at this sort of stuff so I'm gonna tag @Moskit here, he should be able to help you out

Back
Top Bottom