Menosance - Love Surge

Menosance

aka OSOI
VIP Junglist
Hi Guys,

I hope you are all well. Well, let me give you an update on how things are going. I have moved to the side Oil Factory / Old Military since nobody wants them for some reason but at least I might have found a home for Walking In. Today, I started and finished this track. The usual from me basically but I a bit more breaky and analogue-ish. Do tell me what you think about the track :)

Menosance - Love Surge
https://soundcloud.com/menosance/love-surge/s-Ii21C

Looking forward to hear from you and also, tomorrow I'll be checking out some new tracks posted in this forum section.

Until then, Much Love
Menosance

Wow, the intro was so chill and relaxing, and then all of a sudden it got harsh, and then more dissonant. Definitely unique. :)

The mixing and everything seemed good. I disagree about the synth being too high, but I would agree it's jarringly dissonant. I almost feel like this track should be separate songs—the drums and backing are so chill, and the lead is so high-anxiety.

I can't find much fault with it technically; better than what I do in that respect, likely. I guess you've reached that point where the question is about a larger artistic aim, rather than simply "does it tell a story"...

I like the bass and the beat. The synth lead just seems a little too high of frequency.

I might do a 19500 LP on the lead. Still thinking about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, the intro was so chill and relaxing, and then all of a sudden it got harsh, and then more dissonant. Definitely unique. :)

The mixing and everything seemed good. I disagree about the synth being too high, but I would agree it's jarringly dissonant. I almost feel like this track should be separate songs—the drums and backing are so chill, and the lead is so high-anxiety.

I can't find much fault with it technically; better than what I do in that respect, likely. I guess you've reached that point where the question is about a larger artistic aim, rather than simply "does it tell a story"...

Thanks for these kind words :) but you are saying that it sound dissonant. Does it still sound nice or is it too harsh because I might cut 500hz from the top end on the lead. Thanks for the mentioning of artistic aim. I do have my own sound. All I need now is to release it :D

By dissonant, I'm not really referring to the individual frequencies at the high end. The high/high-mid voice is playing a part that is not in (traditional) key with the main piece; its sound clashes. Now, it does this consistently, and with its own feel, so I know you didn't just dump in bad notes—you did it as a conscious artistic choice. The whole effect is to make the track edgy and unsettling... which is, I assume, what you're going for :)

I'm not hearing a need for a LP cut frankly, but that may just be my speakers...

Edit: It occurs to me that everything is in key, just a key I don't understand or am not familiar with... But anyway, you know what I mean, right?

Last edited:
By dissonant, I'm not really referring to the individual frequencies at the high end. The high/high-mid voice is playing a part that is not in (traditional) key with the main piece; its sound clashes. Now, it does this consistently, and with its own feel, so I know you didn't just dump in bad notes—you did it as a conscious artistic choice. The whole effect is to make the track edgy and unsettling... which is, I assume, what you're going for :)

I'm not hearing a need for a LP cut frankly, but that may just be my speakers...

Aaa ok yes it transposes every 2 bars but I am not to the obvious 12 st. That's why. I think I'm gonna send this to some labels the way it is.

Don't worry about being unsigned imo. Just keep working, make lots of tunes, only send your best ones to labels and one day you'll be there.

im liking this one, apart from the lead! theres some deffinate key clashes with that lead noise, and i dont think it suits the tune if im brutally honest. in saying this, i really like everything else about the track. very dark and eery vibes, and the drums roll nicely. Youve got your mixdown good in this too. thats just my opinion tho!

im liking this one, apart from the lead! theres some deffinate key clashes with that lead noise, and i dont think it suits the tune if im brutally honest. in saying this, i really like everything else about the track. very dark and eery vibes, and the drums roll nicely. Youve got your mixdown good in this too. thats just my opinion tho!

The track's key is E. The lead is also E obviously. The difference is when there is a change in key it happens after the first beat and it also ends in E. I meant it to be like that and as such, I am not 'breaking' any music theory rules. The thing is, did you dislike the sound the way it is or you dislike the change in key of the lead? Thanks for the kinds words Cartel. :)

to my ears some of the notes dont really work. if im honest i dont think the noise suits the rest of the track either, if it were more or a mid bass sort of thing it would be wicked. some people here obviously do like it though, so dont take my opinion as solid!

to my ears some of the notes dont really work. if im honest i dont think the noise suits the rest of the track either, if it were more or a mid bass sort of thing it would be wicked. some people here obviously do like it though, so dont take my opinion as solid!

Well for me as long as the mix sounds right, I am happy. The lead is all down to taste I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. :)

all elements are cool for me (drums very nice) except, you have heard it before, the lead synth
the notes: you can like them or not
the sound: for my taste the synth is to near, so i would add some reverb

all elements are cool for me (drums very nice) except, you have heard it before, the lead synth
the notes: you can like them or not
the sound: for my taste the synth is to near, so i would add some reverb

Thanks man :) Yes, it is all down to taste now. But at least the mixing is quite good.

nice ideas mate but that main lead is pretty awful I must say, intro and drums are crisp though

Thanks mate :)

- - - Updated - - -

Listen guys I am going to change the lead section where it starts to transpose. I have heard it again and I sort of found it ugly. Still might keep it for a possible VIP but I will change that section. Will upload a clip or maybe a full track with the fixed section. :)

Hiya Menosance :)

Not sure, I did hear the version before but only briefly can't recall the lead. it's an odd one, I think it works at 1.05, I mean it sounds dissonant (which as kdk said you are going for that sound), but don't think it sounds out of key. But then when you hit a slight breakdown at 2.12 it goes wrong for me. It must be something to do with the bell type harmonic thing you got going on, they're slightly off key as well and the two combined sound like they clash to me.

other comments would be that I'm not sure about the intro, you kinda build with the bass coming in but then drop it away, I'd try to build a bit more as when the drop comes it's pretty unexpected (unless that's intended?). Think generally you could do with some risers or white noise as well just to help the track along in places ?

I like your drums, coming through very clear :) I think I said this last time I commented on one of your tracks but definitely the area you've improved a ton on :D Like your originality as ever :)

Hiya Menosance :)

Not sure, I did hear the version before but only briefly can't recall the lead. it's an odd one, I think it works at 1.05, I mean it sounds dissonant (which as kdk said you are going for that sound), but don't think it sounds out of key. But then when you hit a slight breakdown at 2.12 it goes wrong for me. It must be something to do with the bell type harmonic thing you got going on, they're slightly off key as well and the two combined sound like they clash to me.

other comments would be that I'm not sure about the intro, you kinda build with the bass coming in but then drop it away, I'd try to build a bit more as when the drop comes it's pretty unexpected (unless that's intended?). Think generally you could do with some risers or white noise as well just to help the track along in places ?

I like your drums, coming through very clear :) I think I said this last time I commented on one of your tracks but definitely the area you've improved a ton on :D Like your originality as ever :)

Thanks Lasiien :) Yes it is meant to have an unexpected drop. The track is meant to start smooth but eventually takes you to hell lol. The 2:12 bit is new but what I might do is fade it in so it doesn't go in hard. The track is definitively in key because that is my main worry with my sounds, if they are in key or not.

Back
Top Bottom