Mastering touches

Discussion in 'Production' started by ABAKUS, May 8, 2010.

1. ABAKUS

ABAKUS New Member

Hi, i started producing last october but haven't been really doin much cos i'm about to do my a-level exams. I was producing dubstep but i've always preffered liquid, and making dubstep gets boring.

I have nearly finished a liquid track and i'm pretty happy with how it sounds, however i want to give it that proffessional touch to make it sound crisp and sexy. There's no clipping going on, everything's at around 0 DB, i'm happy with the mix, but now that it's at 0DB, when I bounce it it jsut sounds a lot quieter than the other tunes I have. How can i make the volume higher without clipping it?

Also, i use logic, and whenever I bounce it, it sounds different to the final mix on logic. For instance i was happy with the snare and general crispness of my track, then i bounced it once, and the snare sounded a lot more bassy than it did as in logic (there was no snap to it). Also the general background was a lot less crisp and sounded a like there was some low frequency eq added to it. Really shitting annoying.

Cheers

2. davethomson09

davethomson09 Member

Just a tip -
    Get ozotope ozone. Put it on the stereo out channel. Go to setting 'exiter & widener' and play with the 2 sliders there. I usually have loudness to 100 and the other to ur own taste. Just adds alot of depth and width to the tune.
    Easy.

3. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

when you bounce down, is the "normalize" box checked? i usually uncheck it and trust myself to deal with the sound after the bounce.

4. ABAKUS

ABAKUS New Member

Cheers, shame i can't download it cos i'm using logic on school computer.
    When i bounce i uncheck normalise - mainly because i don't really know properly what it does - also cos the one time i bounced using normalise, it sounded shite.
    What do most people do to make the tunes louder after bouncing?
    Cheers

5. kama

kama benkama.net

Simon V has a nice basic tutorial on what mastering is about:

http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/mastering.php

In dance music you basically eat out the dynamics (something is quieter, something louder) to make stuff seem louder than it is.