Mastering Software

Snaz

Any opinions on the best entry level mastering software to go for, I was going to choose between Izotope Ozone and T-RackS but not sure which has what features etc or if there is something else out there to consider.

Cheers
Snaz

www.myspace.com/snazrecordings

both are great, the best i know of probably. i never managed to get a good result like that though. but otium basslane is free and really good, it monos all the content under a certain frequency, which im sure you can see the uses for.

I've used both am maybe it's just me but i think the Isotope stuff sounds incredibly harsh and digital. IMO it's seems to be a lot easier to get a fuller/phatter sound out of T-Racks, especially with the new version, the Fairchild and Pultec emulations that come with it sound really sweet.

Ive gotten to try the new ozone, and it was absolutely great for the purpose. I'd absolutely buy it if i had the moola right now.

I've also tried T-Racks years ago, "try before buy" u know, but it was an ancient version, maybe the first ever. It wasn't as transparent as ozone, it had a very distinctive quality to it. Not maybe in a good way, I think it tried to sound too analog i think. My skills were seriously lacking back then tho so dont take my word for it.

edit: also mistabishi recommended it in a production masterclass so you really cant go wrong with it!

ive used that old version of t-racks too.... wasnt overly impressed, but ive heard great things about t-racks 3

i use a chain of effects rather than an all in one..... usually something like (in no particular order).... a decent compressor, maybe stillwell audios the rocket or major tom... a limiter, usually the one in psp vintage warmer.... and a nice eq, stillwells vibe eq is pretty cool, but for more precise stuff i'll probably use waves "Q" eq's.... also the eq's in vintage warmer are pretty good too

Cheers for your comments chaps.

I have downloaded the trial of Ozone, it comes with full access for the first ten days. I have mastered one of my tracks with it and to me it sounds much better. I have been able to eq easily and the maximiser is a doddle.

Anyway the track is called 'Shadows' if you find time let me know what you think of the mastering, im wondering if iv stuffed the track with too much top.

Cheers

Snaz

www.myspace.com/snazrecordings

Back
Top Bottom