Marka (Witness the Fitness VIP) // DBridge @ Berghain 15/02/13

IFTN

Just wondering if anyone else made Berghain last night for the Sub:Stance party? DBridge's set was without doubt the best DJ set I've ever heard, in terms of technical ability. I've enjoyed other sets more when the track selection has been more suited to my tastes but I have to say this man is an absolute boss on the decks.

Anyway, highlight of the set was what at first seemed to be an instrumental of marka dropped with an a capella of witness the fitness by roots manuva, but after a couple of verses had gone, on the 'f' of fitness the second time it went into the chorus, some next level hench b-line came over the top of marka. Now i'm not sure if this was just dobule dropped with something else, but if it did then the other track had virtually no drums (and whatever drums it did have lined up with marka absolutely perfectly, no extra hits at all) and had a bassline similar to marka's but just ridiculously fat. memory of the night isn't perfect so basically just wanted to check if anyone else witnessed this amazing moment, and if this is some marka VIP it has to be one of the best tracks i've ever heard..

Also, it's a long shot, but if anyone was there and paying really close attention could they ID the 2 tracks after true romance VIP? both sounded like absolute classics that i really should know, but i'm not too hot on my older stuff. wouldn't be surprised if the first was dillinja and 2nd was ed rush & optical, probably something off worhmhole but i'm too lazy to listen to all the tracks and see if it is.

it's almost always techno! just once or twice a year scuba curates a party called sub:stance which is mostly dubstep/house but DBridge was also on the lineup for this one

I saw DBridge in december and he played it and but I'm almost sure it wasn't an instrumental version of marka, but it was a similar track. I searched a while but couldn't find anything about it.

Saw him in Bristol last year and he played it. Can't remember this bassline though, saying that, I was very drunk and only just remembered I heard it after reading your post.

Im going Berlin over summer, I've been told not to bother trying to get into Berghain as it is notoriously difficult? Where is good for dnb in Berlin?

Anyone tried asking DBridge about it? Sounds like something I would be into.

https://twitter.com/dBridge
http://www.facebook.com/dbridgemusic

I already posted something on his facebook last week and he never responded, get the impression he doesn't read the comments on there. Don't know about twitter though, I don't have it an don't really want to sign up just to ask one question. Feel free to give him a shout if you're connected with him through that!

Saw him in Bristol last year and he played it. Can't remember this bassline though, saying that, I was very drunk and only just remembered I heard it after reading your post.

Im going Berlin over summer, I've been told not to bother trying to get into Berghain as it is notoriously difficult? Where is good for dnb in Berlin?

Yes it's notoriously difficult to get in but I wouldn't say don't bother. It really is the most incredible club I've ever been to, definitely worth a shot. Just rock up around 7 or 8am on Sunday morning and there's usually no queue then so it's not so hard (peak times are 03:00-07:00 sat night/sun morning then again by 17:00-22:00 sunday but the party is still in full force the whole time between). Don't be drunk (other things are fine), don't be loud/ obviously foreign, and as long as you're 21+ (or at least look it, they won't check ID), and you're on your own or in a pair then you'll have no problem getting in.

I already posted something on his facebook last week and he never responded, get the impression he doesn't read the comments on there. Don't know about twitter though, I don't have it an don't really want to sign up just to ask one question. Feel free to give him a shout if you're connected with him through that!

Yes it's notoriously difficult to get in but I wouldn't say don't bother. It really is the most incredible club I've ever been to, definitely worth a shot. Just rock up around 7 or 8am on Sunday morning and there's usually no queue then so it's not so hard (peak times are 03:00-07:00 sat night/sun morning then again by 17:00-22:00 sunday but the party is still in full force the whole time between). Don't be drunk (other things are fine), don't be loud/ obviously foreign, and as long as you're 21+ (or at least look it, they won't check ID), and you're on your own or in a pair then you'll have no problem getting in.

I asked him a question on twitter in January about the aptitude show and he replied within a couple of days.

I am going with a group of like 10+ so that will be the biggest problem I suppose. But we will all be 21+

I need to go to some nights in Europe. I didn't even fully understand this post but the opening time sounds nuts.

I need to go to some nights in Europe. I didn't even fully understand this post but the opening time sounds nuts.

trust me not all europe is like this, berlin is just very very special. there are a LOT of clubs which open at midnight on saturday night and just go until there is no one left to dance (which is often monday afternoon or even later). and the party never lulls, there is a constant stream of people coming at any time throughout those periods. some are even open friday - monday (or later) non stop, but most have about a 12 hour break from noon til midnight on saturday. it's really not uncommon at all to go to bed on saturday night then wake up sunday morning, do a line and head out to the clubs!

I asked him a question on twitter in January about the aptitude show and he replied within a couple of days.

I am going with a group of like 10+ so that will be the biggest problem I suppose. But we will all be 21+

10+ absolutely no way will you get in. in fact you'll have trouble at all of the best clubs. you need to split up in to groups of 2 or 3 (not sure i've ever even seen a group of 3 get let in to berghain, they are way stricter than everywhere else though).

drum and bass clubs aren't so picky, i guess they can't afford to be as the scene here is no where near as good as the house/techno scene. i'd still at least split up into 3 different groups though..

and for dnb the clubs you want to be checking out are gretchen, subland, magdalena & cassiopeia.

Last edited:
10+ absolutely no way will you get in. in fact you'll have trouble at all of the best clubs. you need to split up in to groups of 2 or 3 (not sure i've ever even seen a group of 3 get let in to berghain, they are way stricter than everywhere else though).

drum and bass clubs aren't so picky, i guess they can't afford to be as the scene here is no where near as good as the house/techno scene. i'd still at least split up into 3 different groups though..

and for dnb the clubs you want to be checking out are gretchen, subland, magdalena & cassiopeia.

Yeah well I assumed we would have to split up. Would suck if some groups of 2 got in and not others though. Cheers for listing the dnb clubs, I was about to ask. We will probably be sticking to mainly house and techno clubs though seeming as we're in Berlin, but if theres a good dnb line up on then I'll definitely be on reaching.

Edit: What are door prices like?

Yeah well I assumed we would have to split up. Would suck if some groups of 2 got in and not others though. Cheers for listing the dnb clubs, I was about to ask. We will probably be sticking to mainly house and techno clubs though seeming as we're in Berlin, but if theres a good dnb line up on then I'll definitely be on reaching.

Edit: What are door prices like?

yeah i've been going to a helluva lot more house/techno stuff over dnb since being here. the clubs & vibe is always way better.. even skipped the shogun audio night last weekend to go to berghain instead!

the thing with splitting up though is if you're in groups of 2 and you aren't rowdy then you almost certainly will get in everywhere (except berghain which do occasionally turn people away for absolutely no reason at all, even regulars...) if you have both genders in your party it's a good idea to go in mixed sex groups aswell.

probably the best plan though is just to skip peak times.. queues are always the longest around 2ish on saturday night and the partys never get properly going until 3 or 4 (i mean, it's TOO full before that point. around 4 is when the people who are hopelessly drunk start leaving and the people who are actually there for the music start arriving. from 3am the vibe slowly gets better until better until it peaks anywhere between 6am and sunday night haha)

door prices 10-15 euros pretty much everywhere. dnb nights will occasionally be cheaper but not if there's a big name headlining

Back
Top Bottom