Making some "Old Skool" sounding Piano Melodies?

Discussion in 'Production' started by parsons19, Dec 26, 2011.

1. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Hey all,

I have been listening to a lot of different stuff recently. A lot of things I noticed from the 90s is that amazing sounding Old Skool piano!

There is something like the style in the track "Give this love some meaning" by Oceanic. I couldn't find this on Youtube though so are here some different, equally great examples :)

The Prodigy - Wind It Up

Here is a more recent example (from this year in fact):

Tomb Crew - Ode to Tom & Jerry

What would I do to get this sort of piano? Is it a different playing style? Or a certain key that works?

Cheers my lovelys,

Jordan

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Just to add,

I hope you all had a great christmas! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

I'm not 100% about the classic "Old Skool" or "Rave" piano, but I know that quite a few old school/classic house tunes used the Korg M1's piano patch. If you give a look around on the net you should be able to find it sampled rather easily, I know for a fact that there has been a EXS24 patch out there (as I've downloaded it).

As for how to do the melodies I once stumbled across an article that said you use a combination of alternating simple major chords and minor chords. Something like a C major followed quickly by a C minor or something like that. I honestly don't know a that much music theory when it comes to writing, but when I put it the idea to work I had managed a look that sounded old school-ish. Another thing you could do is just sample some piano chords and drop them back in your sampler and fiddle around that way.

3. mistasfx

mistasfx MISTA SFX

ive got the original M1 vst and wavestation vst that i use for pianos. its not a real bright, clean sound but deffo has an old skool feel

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Adding to what these guys have said.......try searching for a VST called Edirol Orchestral, it's got some fantastic orchestral, symphonic sounds in there

5. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Thanks for the tips on playing T:M :) I will have a go, could put the Nanokey to the test! :lol:

I also think I have found the samples for the M1 :D

As for the M1 vst I keep nagging my mate to send me the zip for th LE version. I bought the Nanokey off of him and he still hasn't got round to sending me that...

Will take a look at Wavestation and Edirol Orchestral in the next few days :)

6. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

You've got the nanokey? How does the build see to be? Been thinking about getting one of the nanopads.

7. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

I do indeed :) The 1st version (they have all the nano products at version 2 now and I beleive they are a little more sturdy and playable).

For me it's pretty bang on for what I want as I don't have the space for a proper sized keyboard. Its easy to play and get ideas down but I have to spend a bit of time quantising and correcting in the piano roll for more complex melodies. I know this is the case with any midi keyboard if you want to get it bang on but the keys are a little meh. Not bad by any means but I get on much easier with proper keyboard keys. I am just glad I have it cause it is a million times easier to get ideas down!

Build wise it seems fine! It is a bit plasticy but it seems tough anough and there are no signs of mine breaking :)

As for getting a nanopad I say go for it. It is supposed to be the best out of all three nano products and great for getting beats down :) If you search around on youtube there was some guy who did a detailed overview of all three of the version one nano things and I think the pad was his favourite!

8. Fishy:)

Fishy:) Active Member

9. dirty breaks

dirty breaks Guest

chord inversions, 7ths etc