Logic 9: Studio or Express?

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Hey all,

I've been into production for a while now and I think that I want to get into Logic. It looks awesome. I've been reviewing the features of both versions of the program and it seems like I could get by with using the Express version, as it's cheaper and still does what I want it too. But my question for you guys is if it is a good idea to save myself some cash and go with Express version or should I wait awhile and shell out the dough for the big dog.

There doesn't really seem to be any differences except that Studio comes with a shitload more apps, plugins and sounds...

Any helpful words of guidance?

Well i have express and Im happy with it. It doesn't have the space designer with looks wicked, or as many instruments. However if you get express you can always get an upgrade for pro. So you might want to start on express and if you miss the space designer / instruments you can always upgrade.

Ive only just started using Logic Pro but will try and give some advice as I wondered the same thing before buying...
1. As far as I can see Logic express is just the music making software with a few less instruments.
2. With Logic Pro you get things like soundtrack (scoring music to film), Mainstage (live performance), waveburner (burning demos to disk) as well as many other apps which may come in handy depending on how serious you are.
3. You also get the jampacks to go with garageband. I think these are about £70 each separately and there are 5 of them.
4. There are also 25 gigs worth of loops and samples.

Also are you a student because you will be able to get crazy discount if you are.
I think Logic pro 9 is about £450 but I got it for £120 direct from Apple!
This is the reason I got Pro over express because I thought £120 was fine for it. If I wasn't eligible for that discount I guess the price would have played a much bigger role for me...

i have express, been using a little over a year. i feel like i will want pro in about another 6 months, but express certainly hasn't held me back.

So you express users suffer no track limitations? thats one thing I couldn't find in the comparisons so I figured it could've been in the small print somewhere.

i have not run into any track limitations. i know there is a limit, but it's pretty ridiculous from what i remember. doubtful you would hit the ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom