Learning Synthesis

GoldenGinge

Hey guys, so I mainly produce liquid funk and as a result most of my tunes stray away from the electro and synthesis kind of things but I was thinking earlier that I'd quite to step into the electro side of liquid if you will. (Fred V, some Netsky, Pennygiles & Mr Joseph kind of stuff)

So I was wondering, is there any good references (books, tutorials etc.) that are a good starting point for learning synthesis? I have NI massive and I would like to be able to produce a nice basslines like in Netsky's "Eyes Closed" as well as lead synths and.

Thanks in advance guys, ez.

Search Dj Distance for creating pads thats a pretty straight forward tutorial an it will help u understand how massive works all over basically, once u get it massive is so amazingly easy its great.
Also i dunno if you are using logic but check out Icicles production masterclass its useful for showing you different ways you can use inserts to warp the sound.
Just watch as many masterclass tutorials as you can.

Tutorials are an excellent starting point. However, a lot of your sound knowledge will come through a lot of trial and error, as well as examining/analyzing some top notch presets. The later will allow you to see what the author had done (in terms of routing) to achieve the movement and/or character in certain sounds, for example. Also, IMO one of the best things to also do is dedicate a full day (or two) analyzing every single wavetable found in Massive's oscillator(s). Furthermore, take notes about the "character" of each wavetable. This way when it comes time to make your sound (whether it be pad or bass) you'll be able to have an idea as to what raw waveform/table(s) to start with. I would also do the same with Massive's filtering section, as it plays just as much an integral role as the wavetables themselves in that the filter is what "shapes/molds" the sound.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

There is a set of videos online here: http://www.jroc.us/a/rlainhart1 which is quite good for learning the basics. It is proper cheesey though (and old school) and the guy who does it looks like he went outside once and wasn't impressed. It is informative though and a good starting point.

Last edited:
Search Dj Distance for creating pads thats a pretty straight forward tutorial an it will help u understand how massive works all over basically, once u get it massive is so amazingly easy its great.
Also i dunno if you are using logic but check out Icicles production masterclass its useful for showing you different ways you can use inserts to warp the sound.
Just watch as many masterclass tutorials as you can.
^

Back
Top Bottom