Korg Minilogue

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
Looking at grabbing one of these soon http://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/minilogue/

Anyone had any experience? Especially for making Drum & Bass / Jungle?

How's integration with your DAW? This would be my first step into the world of analog synths so I'm slightly in the dark about how they integrate with a DAW, compared to something like an Access Virus which is 'virtual analog' and has the 'total integration' software that comes with it.

Let me know your thoughts!

Its a nice synth for the money, ive only had a shot of one however so cant comment much on the actual warmth and stuff like that but i enjoyed messing with it. Integration with DAW is simple though, your workstation will simply pick up the sound when you run a 1/4inch cable from the Korg into your sound card.

All good and seems like a no brainer, there is a catch with hardware synths though... Firstly depending on how much time and patience you have they can end up collecting dust. you might discover in time like me that people post audio clips of their analog synths that you can do your own tricks with depending on your sound design level.

I have a few hardware synths lying around [Emu Audacity 200 / Roland Super JV 1080 / Waldorf Blofeld / Arturia Minibrute] and i seem to just reach for a sample to save time. But thats me and dont get me wrong when i first got these i would record everything and rack up a decent folder full of my own samples but i rarely get them out anymore knowing that i can get inspiration a lot quicker inside my DAW using samples.

Also secondly... Gear lust kicks in when you buy hardware synths this can again be time consuming and might even ruin your productivity completely. You can be sat thinking oh i want that new Arturia Matrix Brute so i can make some lush warm sounds and really nail this tune when the fact of the matter is one synth is more than enough if your willing to put the time into it inside and outside your DAW.

All in all i wouldnt want to say no dont buy one... Id say just consider that it can throw up a few issues but if your prepared for them bash on and enjoy.

Lastly you might want to consider what type of dnb you are going to produce aswell... If your going for the minimal / liquid stuff then id say give analog a bash but if its techy or jump up stick with digital.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response mate.

I know what you mean, I'm sure it's easy to just let things collect dust as you say, but my plan is to invest in one and really get into and just build up as many patches as I possibly can, really make it my go-to synth.

From YouTube demos I just really notice the difference in sound compared to something like Massive (which is my go-to software synth), there seems to be a purity that never faulters which is really appealing...

I think the main appeal for me though is the layout, as I really like the idea of being able to get away from the screen for some hands on tweaking / jamming, clicking around on Massive starts to bore me after a while!

The idea is to get one of these and really get everything out of it that I possibly can, certainly won't be looking to get another synth / upgrade any time soon after, so I'm just hoping it can deliver everything that I'm after...

If your moving away from massive then im all for it tbh, terribly digital sounding synth. There is a noticeable difference between the two no matter how many analog modeled vsts you slap on the channel.

Yeah then jsut go for it, dont let it hinder you and youl be fine... im actually getting gear lust now since were talking about this :teeth:

Last edited:
I actually really like Massive to be honest, I think a lot of people don't realise its analog modelled so can do some pretty crazy stuff if you crank up the Feedback and set the routing properly, also you can totally redline the output then just turn it down in your DAW mixer and it comes out super fat. The 'preset' sound everyone knows it for is pretty crap though agreed!

Haha I imagine it's a pretty slippery slope! I'm sure I'll be looking to follow up my Minilogue purchase with some outboard reverb or distortion soon!

Anyone else had any experience with the Minilogue?

I am an owner of the minilogue (its in my pic) and love the hell out of it. It is my first analogue synth outside of the korg volca series. I love the sound of it but havent done much integration with my DAW. I have been recording sounds directly into my soundcard with midi in triggering from Maschine. Other than that I havent programmed any automation parameters as I usually just record in with myself manually tweaking the parameters on the hardware or putting on the filters and stuff after.

I will say though, that after 4 months of owning it, that I have to set aside time to dedicate to making patches with it. Its not as easy as using vsts but the sounds really are a lot beefier.... Which can make eq'ing them down to fit with my samples... Not more difficult but its different I guess. Anyways, i've been looking online and the resale value is pretty good so, if i sell it i'm not looking at a huge loss for a lot of learning and fun.

Cheers Khujo, not hearing much of a bad word about them so definitely going to take the plunge, how'd you find it for making bass? Even if it was far more adapt at mid sounds I'd probably still get one but it would be great if it had the beef to produce some cool bass sounds, even if I was reliant on plugins to do some of the work after.

It has some great low end capabilities. I've gotten the most ear candy from everything it adds outside of sub though. Flohr has a good Reese and other tutorials on it. I really enjoy the management software it comes with. There is also a super dope piece of software called Minilogue Edit by Julian Eres that graphically shows you all of the settings from the Minilogue. So you can see what is making a patch tick by looking at all of the parameters set on it. Oh and Korg has released to patch banks that are better than the ones it comes with. Let me know if you end up pulling the trigger, I can share some patches.

Everything outside of the vocals, drums and gated static was made from the Minilogue on this track.

Edit Link
https://ask.audio/articles/heres-a-new-free-editor-for-korg-minilogue

Floh Tutorial

eh, I don't agree. I will probably never make money off if my Production but have gotten a lot of joy out of my toys. It doesn't have to have any monetary return on the investment to be worth it. That argument could be made for any piece of equipment. Software, hardware, master classes and on and on

Back
Top Bottom