JukeMaluke - Untitled

tewky1

VIP Junglist
Hi Guys

Well i got dusted down good by Kronix in my reviews, which was entirely justified and a very cool experience, good strong constructive criticism, would suggest everyone looking for feedback find the thread in the production forum and send him your tracks, another unbiased set of ears to bounce your stuff off! Very cool!

Anyways, I was struggling with mixing of my last tune, and weak drums. Have tried to sort both of those things out on the latest project. Drums I cut the lows out of a break and then put some one shots under it to give the punch, then put in some hats for a bit of swing. Tried mixing this one a bit better, my first impressions on my side is that I might have overdone the highs a little bit, very bright mix, and hopefully havent killed it by overdoing the bass.

Would love to hear any opinions on the mix and the drums, did I achieve what I wanted? The tune is still very much a WIP, but tried to get most of the structure down, and interested to hear whether that is any good as well, as that was a comment on the last tune as well, poorly structured.

Any comments on any of the above welcomed, or any other comments, tell me its shit if you want :)

The drums were nice; I did feel the intro should "build" more, as it does last for 44 seconds. The background metallic "hiss," while cool, is louder than the actual bass. Turn it down and turn the bass up. Actually the whole track sounded a bit "quiet" and I had to turn my speakers up. By 2:00 I do like the interplay between the hiss and the bass though, again, the bass should be louder; maybe you could chuck a second bass voice into the mix at some point, or beef it up with a filter, or something. Good pacing for the breakdown at 2:37 or so. I do wonder a bit if the song couldn't end maybe a bit earlier; either that or more modulation/breakdown in the outro. From 5:10 on is a nice ending, though.

Drums sound clean. Needs mor sub. I like the metallic sound but it is a bit dominant at the minute, more bass might balance it out.

Do you split your bass into separate parts of the frequency spectrum? For example, below 100hz is one channel, above 100hz to 400hz is another channel and so on and so forth. If you do, try side chaining the lowest part of your bass into your kick drum. This will help you be able to crank up your bass and also retain the awesomeness of your kick. If you don't now might be a good time to learn.

Do you split your bass into separate parts of the frequency spectrum? For example, below 100hz is one channel, above 100hz to 400hz is another channel and so on and so forth. If you do, try side chaining the lowest part of your bass into your kick drum. This will help you be able to crank up your bass and also retain the awesomeness of your kick. If you don't now might be a good time to learn.

Funny you should say that, in the follow up work on a new mixdown, I went through everything did a bit of surgical EQ to clear it up a bit, but the thing that gave the good effect was side chaining the sub Bass to the Kick, really gave it something extra that it didnt have before, and allowed me to get the Bass up to a good level.

That is the result of my playing about with mixing the track, I think I did 3 more mixes from the original I posted, first one, way too much bass!!, 2nd I did but didnt have the sidechain, and I could hear the drums fading after I had brought up the bass level, 3rd one did the side chain and got it to where it is. Hopefully at a stage of finishing it, and then relax for chrissy :)

Let us know if I got it any better!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom