Is this funk?

Hi guys,

my knowledge of music is quite limited and I am posting on this forum to get an expert opinion.

I like very much the TV themes from the seventies, which typically have a strong rhythm. I asked a friend who knows music and he explained to me that what I like is the sound of the "bass" in those themes. If I remember correctly, he also said that the musical style is probably called "funk". Now, could you please confirm this?

Also, could you please tell me what is the musical style (is it funk?) of the "Eight is enough" themes (two different versions) whose links I am posting here:

First link:
Especially 0:13-0:31

Second link:
Especially 0:27-0:31 and 1:03-1:05

In musical jargon, what do you call the very rhythmical bass parts which last only a few seconds each, as I indicated in the the second link? Is there a name? How would you describe them in words?

And where else on Youtube can I find songs containing a similar effect? Please mention the name of some artists, or some technical musical jargon that I can search on Youtube to find the relevant songs.




Active Member
First off, I think you're on the wrong forum. But, I would describe those themes as funk. The bass riff is just a bassline that repeats the note in octaves, don't know if it has a name. I don't listen to a lot of funk, but I recommend Herbie Hancock and Steely Dan if you haven't heard of them already.