Is my mixer knackered?

Rusket

Mix an blend
VIP Junglist
Sometimes when I turn the bass EQ on my Pioneer DJM 500, the right side of my audio just cuts out for a second. This does not happen when the master is on mono. But no one uses mono anymore, right?

I am trying to mix but this is pissing me off. I did buy the mixer for 140 quid so maybe it is just broken.

Any similar experiences?

sounds like a broken solder connection, very easy to fix if you have a soldering iron, if you can identify where the problem is, first thing to check is the bass pot, check a tutorial on youtube for "repairing broken potentiometer solder" - or pay someone to do it, I can recomend someone in Reading who can do you a full service, but thats probably not much use where you are

Just had my djm 500 repaired, the bass would cut in and out on channel 1 due to the pot being so loose, turn the eq all the way down and wiggle it and check if it does that

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

So basically what is happening is when I turn down the bass EQ on channel 1, the whole right side just doesn't play. I definitely think there is some hardware fault. Gonna look up what miszt said on youtube.

I just rang up a local DJ equipment repair shop and they are asking £25 for an initial inspection and then labour on top of that, so I'm looking at around £35. Really doesn't seem worth it, might aswell buy a soldering iron and do it myself. Anyone got experience of doing this before?

I just rang up a local DJ equipment repair shop and they are asking £25 for an initial inspection and then labour on top of that, so I'm looking at around £35. Really doesn't seem worth it, might aswell buy a soldering iron and do it myself. Anyone got experience of doing this before?

If youve never soldered i'd say £35 is a fair price mate and worth swallowing for a garuntee you'll have a working mixer... Sorting out a botched solder job can be such a bitch.

Im willing to bet its due to you skrillexing the shit out of the bass eq and pretty much trying to rip it off in fits of brock-outy excitement.

Was this problem happening since you bought it or only recently?

If youve never soldered i'd say £35 is a fair price mate and worth swallowing for a garuntee you'll have a working mixer... Sorting out a botched solder job can be such a bitch.

Im willing to bet its due to you skrillexing the shit out of the bass eq and pretty much trying to rip it off in fits of brock-outy excitement.

Was this problem happening since you bought it or only recently?

i remember doing a bit of soldering in year 10, it's just connecting metal so electricity can flow through it right?

It could've been me to be fair but I reckon it was the person before me, I paid 140 quid for a DJM500 delivered. At that price you cannot expect an amazing mixer.

But I seriously am considering doing it myself or finding someone that's doing a course on electronics at my uni. Soldering a loose connection cannot be worth £35.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty much trying to rip it off in fits of brock-outy excitement.

lol

yep £35 is cheap as chips - a soldering iron will cost you that, anything cheaper is more likely to damage your equipment than fix the problem, even at 35£ a soldering iron may not get hot enough to do the job properly, a soldering iron that doesn't get hot enough, means you have to heat the connections for longer, which means more likely hood of damage to the components - and without experience, this possibility is very high. i'd pay the £35, even £50 for a full checkup, internal clean and fixing the pot is good value.

you aint just paying £35 for a ten minute job, you are paying someone for the years of experience they have, and their ability to fix the problem, rather than possibly making the problem worse.....understanding electronics is the easy part, learning how to safely (in terms of the componants not being damaged) use a soldering iron takes time and practice, like any skill thats worth paying for

Last edited:
yep £35 is cheap as chips - a soldering iron will cost you that, anything cheaper is more likely to damage your equipment than fix the problem, even at 35£ a soldering iron may not get hot enough to do the job properly, a soldering iron that doesn't get hot enough, means you have to heat the connections for longer, which means more likely hood of damage to the components - and without experience, this possibility is very high. i'd pay the £35, even £50 for a full checkup, internal clean and fixing the pot is good value.

you aint just paying £35 for a ten minute job, you are paying someone for the years of experience they have, and their ability to fix the problem, rather than possibly making the problem worse.

Exactly. I was mid way through modding my 1210's target and pitch lights and threw my soldering iron away because it wasnt getting hot enough and was starting to scorch circuitry, wasnt worth the risk. Threw the soldering iron and bought a decent one.

you aint just paying £35 for a ten minute job, you are paying someone for the years of experience they have, and their ability to fix the problem, rather than possibly making the problem worse.....understanding electronics is the easy part, learning how to safely (in terms of the componants not being damaged) use a soldering iron takes time and practice, like any skill thats worth paying for

You're right, I just rang em up again and asked how much for a service and he said it will either be 50 or 75 quid. And also it's normally 7-10 working days cause they send it off!

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty expensive, I don't think my mixer needs a service tbh, everything is pretty nice except that single Bass EQ knob. Is it worth just taking off the faceplate now quickly to see if there is anything obvious?

:rofl:

this is totally me when double dropping nightflight with anything and making gunfingers to the invisible crowd

:rofl:

this is totally me when double dropping nightflight with anything and making gunfingers to the invisible crowd

Same thing with me switching basses mixing Calibre - Tru Beat and Die - Something Special haha.

Yeah fuck paying half the price of the mixer to get it repaired.

Crack her open and take a look at the 1st channel bass eq and where it joins the circuit board, is it loose? Give it a wiggle and see if it touches any other solder tracks on the circuit board and is shorting out that channel. If you see anything obvious and the faulty solder connection (assuming thats the issue) is fairly far away from any other solder points or metal parts then i'd say give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom