Is DNB becoming to commercial???

Eks-fan

Is it me or is dnb becoming to commercial?

When i used to go raving 4/5 years ago PPL went for the simple but quality beats of drum and bass and for the love of the music. Now ppl seem to want to go 4 a drugs day out not really caring about the djing.

Im not saying i went to every rave clear headed but there was more love for the music back then wasnt there????????????

RIP HYPER D
BIG UP MAMPI, GROOVERIDER, EKS AND SHABBS

i think the only ppl we should be blaming is pendulum, u get ppl saying i h8te drum n bass and i love pendulum to me thats blasphomy

i hear what you are saying. compared to even say 5 or 6 years ago there is a more diverse crowd at raves. However, it could be that more people are picking up on dnb which is a good thing. we shouldn't be trying to shun people from the scene, i mean the reason I started listening to it was because of the music. Sure some people might be there for the image, but lets give the majority some credit. They fell onto a good thing.

People saying they love pendulum but hate dnb is just :wtf:

I remember this conversation in... 96!

Really. I remember going to clubs/raves outside of the UK and frigging junglists were talking shit about the nice ragga vibes and amens disappearing to make the music more 'commercial' and 'friendly'.

Pendulum today yesterday's Adam F (Circles), Roni Size (In The Mode), Alex Reece (Pulp Fiction), LTJ Bukem ('intelligent dnb')... all of these artists made the music more accessible. Lets just say that back in the day, they would have all been labelled clownstep if the term existed.

For heaven's sake kids, everything is circular.

I know people who go for a 'drugs day out' but I don't care. Their putting their money into the (Portsmouth) scene and it needs all the help it can get! As far as being commercial I don't think so. Most dnb is too heavy for air-play, I think only liquid funk and some dubwise could ever really have an impact but it'll probably be short lived like Shake Your Body and Twist Em Out's success. Then again TEO wouldn't have got in the charts without the Ali G show. Most pop listeners require lyrical content as well which is a rarity in dnb, thank goodness.

'commercial' doesn't mean bad

far too much slating of pendulum on here - these guys are successful for a reason

we have heard their tunes well before they receive widespread regular airplay/exposure - some of us probably liked them the first time, but then suddenly realised we may be seen to not be a 'head' - but just because they surface again several months down the line doesnt make it bad music.

we could also listen to rnb (modern not proper) or some other load of nonce-sense if we really want - music which is shit to me, but could be worse. so lets all stop giving them a hard time...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN!

Sorry..

Who cares anyway… more commercial it is the more girls you get at the night..and there for the more sexytime fun we can all have!

For equally great threads see:

Who is better Friction / Andy C
Should we have less Mc's at raves
Names your top 5 tunes
Arggh..bloody DOA / DNB Arnea idiots...

All equally amazing debates no doubt...

Last edited:
we could also listen to rnb (modern not proper) or some other load of nonce-sense if we really want - music which is shit to me, but could be worse.

196507coolasicepostersid2.jpg

I know people who go for a 'drugs day out' but I don't care. Their putting their money into the (Portsmouth) scene and it needs all the help it can get!

That's not quite how I put it is it you dirty scummer ;) hehe...

Where's good in Southampton then? I remember Paradox looked cool but that shut down didn't it? I don't generally go outside the city anymore as I get my monthly fix from the mighty Breakneck Nine Bar sound! :slayer: Bournemouth's cool too...

That's not quite how I put it is it you dirty scummer ;) hehe...

Where's good in Southampton then? I remember Paradox looked cool but that shut down didn't it? I don't generally go outside the city anymore as I get my monthly fix from the mighty Breakneck Nine Bar sound! :slayer: Bournemouth's cool too...

The scene pretty poor over here as well, patchy nights here and there, although late licence records (big up the dj Klip & Tripp 2 records) holds a night in the square last thursday of every month which is pulling in a few big dogs. Worth checking out but I always got work on fridays so I can't normally make it. I think Bournemouth is probably best bet aswell.

Drum and bass is so far from being commercial. It's one of the most insular scenes around.

It would benefit from a bit of major label money and mass interest coming into it for a brief period, although we all know what went wrong with jungle and garage in that respect.

In the states, since around 2001-02 the scene has turned back to the underground. I used to have to pick between 2 or 3 events in the same night....now I'm lucky to find something big happening once a month.

its commercial in the fact that everybody on this forum probably buys records

too comercial?? its either commercial or not -
more records sold = more revenue for industry = better quality studios/equipment

needs to be more commercial if anything as my hairy friend thom w said

send this fred to dnbarena please...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom