how to make a filter sound fat, give it a real 'whomp' sound instead of just wah

alcaponeuk

so i been learning about processing neuro bass lately, got pretty good at making the reese and doing some crazy notch filtering and shit, but for the actually lowpassing i use the autofilter in logic - but i feel the actual filter sounds shit, it doesnt have a real thick whomp sound to it as it comes on and off, it just sounds like a wah and the high freqs come in harsh - i dont know how to explain what im trying to say but are there other filters out there that sound different and sound 'fatter' ??

Tone 2 Bi Filter is my favourite filter, I paid for it but i think now you can get it for free if you buy a copy of Computer Music Magazine.

Check it out !!

so i been learning about processing neuro bass lately, got pretty good at making the reese and doing some crazy notch filtering and shit, but for the actually lowpassing i use the autofilter in logic - but i feel the actual filter sounds shit, it doesnt have a real thick whomp sound to it as it comes on and off, it just sounds like a wah and the high freqs come in harsh - i dont know how to explain what im trying to say but are there other filters out there that sound different and sound 'fatter' ??

Shit? Well that's a bit harsh. :) You're right though, it's not the best filter for obtaining the dirt and squelch you're after unless you start automating a lot of the parameters harshly...and the lack of filter types also hurts the stock a bit.

Bi-Filter and WoW are my two favorite filter plugins. Both are very flexible and offer a myriad of different filter types including the omnipotent "vowel" filter.

Another option (though it takes a bit more effort) is to resample your bass sound, drop it into EXS24 and then mess with the modulation matrix. For example, you could set a couple of the modules so that the velocity of your key press would affect the pitch, cutoff, resonance, etc.; Essentially creating a chain of mangled modulation by simply pressing your key a different velocities. And you can always use the mod wheel for the same purpose.

Cheers.

Another big + for Tone2 BiFilter2... also check out Tone2 FilterBank3 and SoundToys FilterFreak (this one is realy nice and fat).

Take care,

Vid

Alright guys ill deffo have to check out that filters n ill give that exs trick a go ! And it's not about the slope cause the slopes are randomn anyway when I draw them out and it always sounds weak - cheers peeps !

No, I don't mean the envelope/automation of the cutoff; I mean the actual slope of the filter, as in, how many dB/octave is the signal being attenuated above the cutoff frequency?

Mate just layer up more than one envelope idea.
Whatever way your doing it, add layers of the same noise doing bandpass sweeps or highpass shit. Eq an distort them pre or after the filters adding a bit of reverb adds to it too or chorus flange phaser bit crush whatever sounds good. when you have a few good layers filling up the sounds or frequencies you want to hit export and do more shit to it eq it add a sub layer or emphasise the one thats there. Better to add one tho. Plenty of shit you can add to one noise to make it eventually sound like one :2thumbs:

Fuck around with percussion layers or samples of hitting things or animals, pitch down vocals? breathing etc...

Last edited:
Add the WOW Highpass 24db filter with the default resonance to just about anything and you get squelch.

Back
Top Bottom