Here is a picture of my studio. Tell me everything which is wrong with it

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
So I just bought some monitors and sound card-
UA-25 EX and KRK Rokit 6s.

So after somehow managing to fit them on my desk (also, this is my room, it's not sound treated or anything right now) I took a picture because I know that it's not going to be perfect conditions and all.

so here is a picture. What's wrong with it and how can I improve it? Also, was getting the 6s a bad idea, should I got the 5s? (due to their size)

(big pictures below)

http://i49.tinypic.com/mrv5uo.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/hx2447.jpg

So I just bought some monitors and sound card-
UA-25 EX and KRK Rokit 6s.

So after somehow managing to fit them on my desk (also, this is my room, it's not sound treated or anything right now) I took a picture because I know that it's not going to be perfect conditions and all.

so here is a picture. What's wrong with it and how can I improve it? Also, was getting the 6s a bad idea, should I got the 5s? (due to their size)

(big pictures below)

http://i49.tinypic.com/mrv5uo.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/hx2447.jpg

change position of your desk so you can put monitors in possition where their back is closest to wall.This works wonders for low freqencies,also try to put your monitor higher,it will be more healthy for your back.Also put monitors higher depending on how your tall,middle of main woffer in monitors should be in line with your ears.

get a sub 8-12" will go well with your monitors,this is very important for monitoring anything under 70-90hz.

The monitors need to be on level with your ears. Stack some books underneath them.

If you look in your RP6 manual it will tell you that the monitors need to be 2 to 3 feet away from the wall to stop bass reflection from the wall behind the monitors. This will stop the low end being falsely emphasised.

Is there anything covering the wall behind you when you sit at your desk? Put a duvet or some thick curtains on the wall to stop high end reflection boucning off the wall and causing phasing.

A corner is the worst possible place to have the monitors in. It will double the problems in the bass area. You can do a simple test even without a measuring mic - find a synth that has a stepless frequency/pitch adjustment and start sweeping slowly from the bottom 30-50Hz up. You'll hear that some frequencies are louder and some quieter. You can eliminate the worst of this with adjusting the position of your speakers in the room. There should be at least 1-2 feet of air between the speaker and the rear wall.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

Also if that's a sub under the table and you're using it with the monitors make sure the lows from the speakers are cut from the crossover.

my monitors are close to a wall, i have no other place, im hard on the spectrum when it comes to bass levels

Hi Roadrunner 21,

I agree fully with taking it away from the corner if possible. The window being there wont help much either, not only distracting but room treatment is as much about keeping sound out than keeping it in. A single glazed window will leak sound from outside and raise the noise floor of the room, make sure that curtain is closed when writing! Also, working that close to the pc, invest in some quiet pc components if you haven't already. QuietPC is a good website to check out and I would recommend scythe fans and zalman power supplies. You have to weigh up your own budget, room treatments cost bigtime with many studios spending more on the room than the equipment. It maybe worth doing some simple things like hanging duvets as mentioned above but an approach of compiling your ideas and taking it too a local studio might be a better idea before spending out masses on room treatments.

A general rule of thumb for speakers is an equal triangle between the two speakers and yourself. Ideally you will be sat where you can't differentiate between left and right, the median plane. You have a wired keyboard and mouse, don't change that. Wireless versions have so much lag its almost unbearable. Cabling, where possible don't run mains electric cables alongside audio cables. A few minutes sorting that mess out under your desk might improve any noise thats getting into your system and where possible, try to use oxygen free cable (OFC). This will improve the signal quality loads.

Peace

Also from what I can see the walls seem pretty bare. The easiest way to affect the room is to hang something on walls. Posters will not help, needs to be thicker. Bookcases, heavy cloth, even pillows hanging from the wall can help in the most obvious acoustic flaw: the high echoes.

Yeah a corner isnt ideal, you get mad bass traps in corners so you could easily overcompensate for sub

The height of the monitors should be so that your ear is inbetween the tweeter and the sub cone, not direcly infont of one or the other

Like mentioned damping the room by adding sheets to the walls etc will help alot

Back
Top Bottom