Help me out with this kind of bassline

prettyherb

O I
VIP Junglist
Hey!

Don't really want to know exactly how the bassline is made, but i would just like to know what technique is used to create it . In massive i'm getting close by making a heavy low bassline, and putting the speed of the lfo very low, put that lfo on the cutoff, and make the notes short, so it never reaches high ends, so you can hear the 'wob"... But the problem is,

The sound i mean can be heard in this track (actually in a lot of jumpup tracks). Also taxman used to use this sound alot i think.
It's the wob sound that kicks in at 1:05, the second of the pattern.

Tnx in advance for helping me out!

grtz

Last edited by a moderator:
play around with the filter envelope settings, Attack/Decay/Sustain/etc, and with the envelope>filter settings (the % that the filter opens up on full Sustain), you can combine the LFO and Envelope filter modulations to create virtually any wobble you could think of, av fun :D

play around with the filter envelope settings, Attack/Decay/Sustain/etc, and with the envelope>filter settings (the % that the filter opens up on full Sustain), you can combine the LFO and Envelope filter modulations to create virtually any wobble you could think of, av fun :D

You mean like an lfo on the cutoff and an envelope above that?

A Square wave, lowpass filter, envelope on the cutoff with a mid to slow attack and quick release, and about 25% - 45% on the resonance (Q) of the filter. Maybe some Unison too, but dont phase too much on the unison.

I can double check for ya, Jayline is an old friend of mine.....

You mean like an lfo on the cutoff and an envelope above that?

the filter will have its own ADSR settings, like the ADSR on the OSC, you can set the amount the freq cutoff will open, relative to its position, you can also manuplate the way the filter moves from open/closed, by giving it more/less Attack and Decay etc

Last edited:
A Square wave, lowpass filter, envelope on the cutoff with a mid to slow attack and quick release, and about 25% - 45% on the resonance (Q) of the filter. Maybe some Unison too, but dont phase too much on the unison.

Tnx mate, i'll give that a try!

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

the filter will have its own ADSR settings, like the ADSR on the OSC, you can set the amount the freq cutoff will open, relative to its position, you can also manuplate the way the filter moves from open/closed, by giving it more/less Attack and Decay etc

Tnx man, experimentation with this will be my occupation for the next days.. Too bad it's studytime :p

Ok mate, i can get that sound now that says 'wob', but it still sounds like farting uknow :p. Also tried envelopes on sineshaper, classic tube, resonance,... Not really can make a phat sound. Also tried 3 oscillators with one one -24 , one on -12 and one on 0 to fill the spectrum..

Ok mate, i can get that sound now that says 'wob', but it still sounds like farting uknow :p. Also tried envelopes on sineshaper, classic tube, resonance,... Not really can make a phat sound. Also tried 3 oscillators with one one -24 , one on -12 and one on 0 to fill the spectrum..

to get things fat, set up a fat FX chain, something like this... chorus > distortion > sumFX > distortion > etc > Compress > EQ > Sidechain

try Saturation aswell, for propa fattnes

dont forget Pitch Bends, get them to follow the filters

the most important thing for that sound is the tonal quality of it, so you need to detune your your oscs to get that sound. its kind of warhead ish, i remember back in 2002 we could nail that sound with simsynth 2.6 and some ganja. well grits and serum certainly could. simsynth is the cats potato.

Back
Top Bottom