• Hardware

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Can't afford hardware so software

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Don't produce

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
It wouldn't sound live now would it?

Come to think of it, I'll show you all what I mean. If you record the mechanical noise you playing the part, it sounds live. I will play the same riff on a korg emulator in fruity, and then on my microkorg, and you can all tell the difference.

what does that even mean 'it wouldn't sound live' - what, because it's not quantized? what you on about?
sounds like you're talking more about an aspect of performance rather than anything else.

It's like mp3's and vinyl, vinyl always wins because a wav file thats like 50mb is never really going to be used.

this doesn't even make english.

It wouldn't sound live now would it?

Come to think of it, I'll show you all what I mean. If you record the mechanical noise you playing the part, it sounds live. I will play the same riff on a korg emulator in fruity, and then on my microkorg, and you can all tell the difference.

It's like mp3's and vinyl, vinyl always wins because a wav file thats like 50mb is never really going to be used.

sigged :carlton:

Oh jesus there goes my English again.

I like vinyl, because it is so high quality (good bitrate) compared to an mp3. To have the same sound as vinyl on a wav, it would need to be such a large file, that is would be stupid to carry around on a usb stick or what not

what does that even mean 'it wouldn't sound live' - what, because it's not quantized? what you on about?
sounds like you're talking more about an aspect of performance rather than anything else.

Live as in you would associate the sound with a finger pressing down on a key on a synth, and not midi triggering a soft synth.

QUOTED FROM DEADMAU5

What are the advantages & disadvantages of using hard- & software ?

I dont really have all that much knowledge in the hardware department to be bold enough to contribute to the age old "hard vs. soft" debate... however, using software, i have found the flexibility, and modularity to prove to be a beautiful thing when it comes to bringing up old idea's and either re-working them or using them as templates for whole new songs. I would imagine using a mostly hardware solution, this could be quite the task as you may have X amount of synths with X amount of settings and patches and configurations that you would need to reconfigure each time you want to shift gears... and frankly i shift gears a lot, and I’d rather not be stuck in the studio patching gear all day thank you very much... Software to me has always proven to be virtually non destructible when it came to editing, instead of laying it all down to a few tracks on the DAT tape. I seriously doubt anyone still does it that way anyway.

Last edited:
and I’d rather not be stuck in the studio patching gear all day thank you very much...

I cant think of anything I'd rather do than sit in a studio all day and patch bits of gear in. Love it.

Software and Hardware, especialy recently with the software thats available.

Back
Top Bottom