H0w d0es any0ne achieve a l0ud yet dynamicaly effective master?

He said the o key on his keyboard is broken. Should we be worried that a new keyboard is cheap and it’s been going on this long?
Let's settle this 0nce and f0r all.THis is a lapt0p i can't just change the keyb0ard.And sec0ndly i was s0 excited t0 see that s0me0ne actually replied t0 the thread and i have t0 c0me t0 read this???N0w h0w fucking imp0rtant is it fellas???
U have t0 seek real deep in y0u t0 find the answer...
I als0 can't aff0rd it h0w c00l is that???
2 g00d reas0ns.

I don't want sound like a dick because it's cool to have some activity in the production section, but at the same time it's obvious that anyone who gives you straightforward answers like "put this chain on it and then add soundgoodizer blablabla" doesn't really know his stuff. On the other hand people who do know, ain't gonna write you a detailed essay about the science behind making tunes loud but still punchy. Because most likely they have spent lots of time and effort figuring out that shit by themselves in the first place.

I was gonna make a joke about 10 Sausage Fatteners set to 100%, but that's been worn thin, so i'll toss some real advice out there instead.

1. Golden rule; you cannot polish a turd. If you have a shit mix-down, your master isn't gonna fix anything. Your tune should sound great [just have an overall quieter volume] before you master it. Also side-chaining can be your friend, use it for more than just creating punchier drums.

2. Master Chain
Using multiple compressors with less extreme settings [usually] yields better results than just one compressor... unless it doesn't. Its a dynamic process, not a static answer. Multiband compression is your friend too..

for the record, i find the zer0s c0mical, makes me chuckle every time.

I was gonna make a joke about 10 Sausage Fatteners set to 100%, but that's been worn thin, so i'll toss some real advice out there instead.

1. Golden rule; you cannot polish a turd. If you have a shit mix-down, your master isn't gonna fix anything. Your tune should sound great [just have an overall quieter volume] before you master it. Also side-chaining can be your friend, use it for more than just creating punchier drums.

2. Master Chain
Using multiple compressors with less extreme settings [usually] yields better results than just one compressor... unless it doesn't. Its a dynamic process, not a static answer. Multiband compression is your friend too..

for the record, i find the zer0s c0mical, makes me chuckle every time.
Big up man! I usually keep the -6 db in the mix bef0re i master anything.
I usually side chain everything in tw0 gr0ups .0ne with fast release and 0ne with a bit m0re sl0w release.
I use a linear eq,psp master c0mpress0r,psp vintage warmer,api c0mpress0r and limiter .I h0pe i'm n0t f0rgetting s0mething here.
I recently watched a few tut0rials that suggest ssl c0mp is the best f0r glueing in the mastering pr0cess s0 im g0nna try that next time.
Thank u f0r the feedback man i appreciate it!I'm checking ur w0rk ;) !

Big up man! I usually keep the -6 db in the mix bef0re i master anything.
I usually side chain everything in tw0 gr0ups .0ne with fast release and 0ne with a bit m0re sl0w release.
I use a linear eq,psp master c0mpress0r,psp vintage warmer,api c0mpress0r and limiter .I h0pe i'm n0t f0rgetting s0mething here.
I recently watched a few tut0rials that suggest ssl c0mp is the best f0r glueing in the mastering pr0cess s0 im g0nna try that next time.
Thank u f0r the feedback man i appreciate it!I'm checking ur w0rk ;) !
Np man, dont commit yourself to only one chain. like agu said, there is no one correct or best answer for every mastering application

Give us s0me 0f what u

Hey c'm0n man sausage fattener 0n the master bus?
I w0uldn't d0 it man.
Cm0n give me s0mething man.
He was making fun of my joke amigo ;)
He also said hed never use it anywhere ever.. which is the only proper way of using sausage fattener.

I'm still learning, but like already mentioned you need a good clean mix down first. I find that to at least get a loud track after mastering, I actually use light limiting throughout my mix down (especially on the bass and drums). Surgical EQ on all channels is also important to remove any resonant freqs. After this, then I bounce down to an audio file for mastering. This would be around -6dB.

When I 'attempt' to master my tracks, I normally start with a luftikus EQ (free download), and I just lift the 10k region by about 1-2. It gives the track a bit of air. Then I use a saturator (either ableton's own, or camelcrusher, or the softube knob). Then I add a normal EQ just to make sure there aren't any resonant freqs left (so surgical cutting). Then I might modify the mid/side used MSED by Voxengo. After that, a light bit of compression, followed by another EQ where I use very gentle and wide cuts and boosts if required. Then lastly, I add a limiter, and it's normally always A.O.M's invisible limiter.

I say 'attempt' above, as I am not a mastering engineer, and I'm still a newbie. But the above kinda works for me :)

I'm still learning, but like already mentioned you need a good clean mix down first. I find that to at least get a loud track after mastering, I actually use light limiting throughout my mix down (especially on the bass and drums). Surgical EQ on all channels is also important to remove any resonant freqs. After this, then I bounce down to an audio file for mastering. This would be around -6dB.

When I 'attempt' to master my tracks, I normally start with a luftikus EQ (free download), and I just lift the 10k region by about 1-2. It gives the track a bit of air. Then I use a saturator (either ableton's own, or camelcrusher, or the softube knob). Then I add a normal EQ just to make sure there aren't any resonant freqs left (so surgical cutting). Then I might modify the mid/side used MSED by Voxengo. After that, a light bit of compression, followed by another EQ where I use very gentle and wide cuts and boosts if required. Then lastly, I add a limiter, and it's normally always A.O.M's invisible limiter.

I say 'attempt' above, as I am not a mastering engineer, and I'm still a newbie. But the above kinda works for me :)
Good advice

Back
Top Bottom